OLD ROMAN OR GREEK COIN? NEED HELP!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• hammered silver 1.jpg
    hammered silver 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 211
  • hammered silver 2.jpg
    hammered silver 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 191
More Greek than Roman : better picture not taken at an angle would help . nice coin.

Upvote 0
:hello:

It looks like a Mark Antony Silver Legionary Denarius... eagle between standards. A better picture and we might be able to tell which legion.

SS

Upvote 0
:hello:

It looks like a Mark Antony Silver Legionary Denarius... eagle between standards. A better picture and we might be able to tell which legion.

SS
thanks SS & oldsoapy ! he's gonna try to post straight on photos.can you give me a guess on age if this is what it is?

Upvote 0
thanks SS & oldsoapy ! he's gonna try to post straight on photos.can you give me a guess on age if this is what it is?

Pretty sure that's what it is, don't know if it's the real deal or not by the picture....but it doe's look Silver.

SS

Upvote 0
Pretty sure that's what it is, don't know if it's the real deal or not by the picture....but it doe's look Silver.

SS
he's gonna take new pics & i will post as soon as he does.is it common to see them off struck that badly?

Upvote 0
he's gonna take new pics & i will post as soon as he does.is it common to see them off struck that badly?[/QUOTE

Yes, common to see ancient coins struck off centre. This one is a Mark Antony, although not the same issue, it to is well off centre.

SS

Attachments

• imagesCALVYUR9.jpg
    imagesCALVYUR9.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0
Forgot to mention, we are talking about a BC coin here, Mark Antony had 23 legions, and these coins commemorated them, and are usually very heavialy debased, and found very worn.

SS

Upvote 0
Agreed; and what I focused in on was the Roman (legion) "II" to the right of the eagle standard on both the original poster's coin and the coin I referenced.
Don.....
If it is Don, then I believe that would make the coin 31-32BC:icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0
straight on photos

Attachments

• roman or greek coin 1.jpg
    roman or greek coin 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 191
  • roman or greek coin 2.jpg
    roman or greek coin 2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Marc Antony Legionary Denarius. Minted at Patrae (?), 32-31 BC. ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley, thyrsos behind prow / LEG II, eagle between standards. RSC 27, Cr544\14, Syd 1216 what we thought...

SS

Attachments

• s0414.jpg
    s0414.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
Well done on the ID a nice early Denarius, Hutch.

Upvote 0
thanks fella's! sorry to ask but any idea on what its value is?

Upvote 0
thanks fella's! sorry to ask but any idea on what its value is?
Proberbly not that much, as there are better examples, I have only ever found one, and it was very debased all that remained was the Bronze disc, and no Silver plating...perhaps $50.:sadsmiley:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back