Old Remington Typewriter age?

Time

Greenie
Jun 5, 2024
I bought an old typewriter its looks WW2 era I've not been able to find out the age of this typewriter, I'm guessing it was made after the 1930s and brings it into 1940 somewhere around that time?

I know nothing about typewriters I bought it to use as a display piece but it be nice to have it working. I have taken a good look at it, it looks to be all there, nothing looks broken or out of place so I suspect it will need a good clean and re-oiling and possibly a new ribbon.

How old is this typewriter?

P1010753.JPG
P1010754.JPG
desk39.JPG

It would appear my typewriter was made around 1929 which is a good age for the era of things I collect.

After watching many youtube service and repair videos on typewriters I now know a bit more about what I am doing. The carriage doesn't move when typing so there is a problem I need to address but I managed to get everything else unseized at this stage. Its possible it might just have to remain as a display piece for now as I'm not yet confident in disassembling the carriage to find out why that part is not functioning correctly.

During the 50s, before electric typewriters (in high school) I used a machine slightly more modern than this one. We were speed tested by hacking out:
"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country". Typing that out about 7 or 8 times (within one minute) without an error gave me a passing grade for the course--yes 'course'.
Old school memories; thanks.
Don...

Last edited:
They used these old typewriters a lot during the war WW1/WW2 although Remington typewriters are American, a lot of the war museums I have visited here in the UK seem to have a few of them. Who knows what the history of this typewriter is... it could have been used by a soldier in a military office at one stage.

I have learned a bit more about how my typewriter works and why the carriage isn't moving as you type, this is because there a piece of string "not sure of the right terminology" but the string creates tension which pulls the carriage back as you type and it isn't present, only a small part of it was still attached. It looks like a simple thing to fix, however fitting a new piece of string might not be so easy.

The rest of the typewriter looks pretty functional although the way the ribbon sits in the type writer doesn't look right, I just hope there is nothing missing and that I'll be able to learn about how to correct it.

The typewriter does need a good clean and re-lubricating but for now I will leave it as is until I've learn everything I need to know to get this type writer running again.

I wouldn't even know how to replace the ribbon as everything looks so complicated on this particular typewriter. I have replaced a ribbon before on a Royal typewriter with ease.

There are quite a few collectors' clubs/groups. Making contact with them may help in getting replacement parts.

Some have gone as far as buying multiples to acquire spare parts.

You probably know this... Tom Hanks is a huge collector of antique typewriters since the 1970s.

I discovered why the ribbon wasn't looking right, the spool that the ribbon cable wraps around wasn't seated correctly on its holder, however I've not managed to resolve the issue after many attempts at trying to re-seat the spool, its almost like its not the correct spool for this model of typewriter or there is a technique of getting the spool onto its holder, once I have resolved that issue then I can have a go at repairing the carriage strap, I should be able to find something suitable to use as a carriage strap. Some people on youtube have used fishing string.

I'm now confident I can get my Remington typewriter going again, no parts required other then a bit of fishing string to repair the carriage strap and a new ribbon.

Its quite common for carriage straps to snap on old typewriters and ribbons need replacing as they dry up. Before I move onto those repairs I will need to clean up the basket and lubricate moving parts. Its easier said than done because there will be parts I have to dismantle in order to get access to for easier cleaning and repair. All in all its a good typewriter.

I also won a second Royal Junior 1938 typewriter on auction for cheap, that one also has a broken carriage strap and needs a new ribbon which is on order. The Royal Junior is a lot more simple to work on than the Remington.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back