✅ SOLVED Old pulley maybe?

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this near Charleston, SC it looks to me like part of an old pulley maybe from a hay barn or something?
Interested in suggestions.

It measures about 10 inches across the picture below shows both sides.

old-pulley.jpg

Upvote 0
With the new pictures I know it's not a power steering pulley as was my first guess.

The second set of pictures is sure proof of posting more pictures and as much info on an item the better chances you get a better and much faster ID if possible.

That being said, after viewing the new pictures my first thought was of a leather belt pulley, my second thought was an ore cart wheel.

I also like the hay trolley wheel possibility, but I don't know the sizes of such wheels so I don't know if that could be what it is.

Upvote 0
where i know i have seen some hay carriers that were made to run on a wooden beam that had wheels that large , i can not say 100% that this is what this wheel is.
i have looked at flat belt pullies for old equipment and find none with a rim on 1 side .
looking closely at your pictures you can see some of the rounded edge left on the flat side opposite the side with the ridge so that tells me there was only 1 side with a ridge.
there was no cogs,teeth or v groove so that rules all those out.
the second option is ore cart wheel ore cart wheels.JPG
my problem with it being this is a couple things, where your wheel is heavy , i do not believe it is heavy enough to carry tons of ore, none of the ones i have looked at have axles 1 inch thick as yours does,, ore carts axles are alot heavier , and the ridge on the inside of the wheel is larger also to keep the heavy cart on the track.

Now i think some one mentioned the wheel looked to heavy for a hay carrier , what you have to keep in mind is this carrier is suspended from the ceiling way up in the ridge of your barn and depending on your barn that could be 60 feet and more, not only does it have the weight of the cast iron carriage to support but also this large hook system and then the weight of the hay . hay fork.jpeg
so it may not need to be as heavy duty as the Ore cart but it does need to be heavy enough to support all that, after all you would not want it to fall 60 feet and land on your head . :)
i am still saying from what i see i say it is a wheel off a hay carrier and until i see a better picture and id like the song says " Thats my story and im sticking to it "
lol :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input and info!
Marking as SOLVED

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back