Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,022
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,021
just my .02 here,
and not to split hairs but if it was old pliers, the gap where the teeth would appear to be REALLY filled with corrosion. perhaps something with less space between, like tin snips/aviation shears....

or dual handled spoon...for lefties and righties...

Upvote 0
try a acid bath to bust the bulk of the crud off (not too long and in a well vented area --out of doors is good-- the gas made by the process is toxic ) --- then re electro it --see it at the clubmeet :wink: -- Ivan

Upvote 0
You must be doing something wrong in the electrolysis. Maybe you have the leads reversed? Maybe a bad connection? Use SS clips. Try 12 volts. No need to be gentle here. It should clean it up if its iron.

Upvote 0
I agree with bigcypress... I myself think its the connection, you are connecting with the oxide and not the metal. Do you have a current meter in series with one of the clips? If not you should have, its very nice to know how much current is actually flowing. I always use a variable power supply with a current control meter. I think I would for sure increase the voltage, and let more current through it. But watch out, with a high voltage you could get a shock.

Upvote 0
Electrolysis is wonderful for cleaning and preserving the remaining ferrous metal. Electrolysis is what you need. Something is not right Moe. Did one clip get eaten up?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The electrolysis connection is correct. This morning I changed the water and cleaned the tank. I am trying again at 12 volts 1 AMP. Will see if it makes a difference. One thing is that I may have to file through the corrosion to let the alligator clip make contact with the metal.

Upvote 0
12 volt 1 amp should do the trick and you to have clip to metal - contact for it to work right :wink: ---pliers or bullet mold --hummm Ivan

its not just mere corrosion --its concreation a build up of sea minerals on the metal and such as well ---Ps its hard as nails - you will have to break thru it to get at the metal below to attach the clip --carefully so as not to damage the metal -- a x ray can reveal whats in side it -- by the way

Upvote 0
Jeez Moe - you must be pretty curious. I think I'd smash the concreation with a sledge hammer or toss it in the garbage!

I have no patience with such things. :P

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Moe (fl) said:
Thanks for the replies. The electrolysis connection is correct. This morning I changed the water and cleaned the tank. I am trying again at 12 volts 1 AMP. Will see if it makes a difference. One thing is that I may have to file through the corrosion to let the alligator clip make contact with the metal.
If its working, you will see tremendous bubbles coming off the artifact. I used a 4 amp 12volt battery charger with great success and about a cup of baking soda per 10 gallon bucket of water and a Stainless Steel bolt anode.

Did you see bubbling, Moe?

Upvote 0
I say it's a bullet mold.

Upvote 0
For comparison sake here is a picture of one that I found almost 30 years ago behind a barn when I was a kid.

Attachments

• DSC04553.JPG
    DSC04553.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0
It started to show more bubbles after I filed down through the corrosion. The water is changing color...

I will post a picture in a day or two.

Thanks to all!

Upvote 0
Moe (fl) said:
It started to show more bubbles after I filed down through the corrosion. The water is changing color...

Thanks to all!
Most bubbles will come from the lead clip. Try to see bubbles from the artifact as well. I think you will see some surprisingly pleasant results. Electro is amazing on ferrous.

ADDED: The water will get nasty. You should do this outdoors because of the gases emitted.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Moe (fl) said:

Thanks to all!
Most bubbles will come from the lead clip. Try to see bubbles from the artifact as well. I think you will see some surprisingly pleasant results. Electro is amazing on ferrous.

ADDED: The water will get nasty. You should do this outdoors because of the gases emitted.
I agree 100% outside is the place to do this. What I use nowdays instead of baking soda or salt is caustic soda, a little bit. You will see the difference because the water does not get as nasty as with baking soda or salt. Works much better for me anyway. Our Archo service here uses only caustic soda...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back