Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unusual keyhole configuration only text is patent date. Brass and really well made. 20241017_172633.jpg20241017_172640.jpg

Upvote 10
Nice find ;) I wish there was a way to get keys for the locks we find

Interesting padlock. US patents take their date from the Patents Bulletin, habitually published on Tuesdays. Occasionally, such as over the Christmas holiday period or for other administrative reasons, publication was delayed and the backlog was published the following Tuesday. However, there were no patents issued for 23 February 1871 since it was a Thursday, so that can’t be the actual patent date.

I thought it might be a ‘Patent Pending’ date but the ‘antique-padlocks.com’ website clearly shows the same lock with that date as ‘Pat’d’.

patent1.jpg

Occasionally, patentees have been known to ‘jump the gun’, using the date they were informed their application had been successful although not yet published in the bulletin and I suspect that’s the case here.

The actual application for this padlock design was made on 10 December 1870, and it was granted on 29 August 1871 as patent number 118473. It was granted to Hermon Nelsen of Jerome, New York although the actual signature looks more like ‘Herman Nelsen’. Probably, this is a typo error in the print and ‘Herman’ is more likely to be the correct spelling.

patent2.jpg

patent3.jpg

I think old locks are fascinating. Its definitely a unique looking example with that one.

Neat looking lock, I've never seen one with a keyhole configuration like that before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back