Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or so I'm told
Quite heavy to hold (I wish it was gold)
Can anyone identify my bold old mold ?

So much for the poetry ... anyway it weighs almost 5 pounds - the large 'cloverleaf' chamber leads down to 3 smaller ones . A triple a battery fits perfectly into each small hole .It appears to be made of brass or bronze . I've looked at a lot of bullet mold pictures and the all seem quite small compared to this monster . The 2 round handle things are solid . Why would so much lead be poured in just to make 3 bullets (if thats what it is)??
Any ideas? Thanks !

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 458
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 463
mojjax said:
Or so I'm told
Quite heavy to hold (I wish it was gold)
Can anyone identify my bold old mold ?

Are you so bold...
as to pour lead in the mold...
then unfold the mold...
and see if your sold...
on the item not gold?

In otherwords... fill it up and see what it makes! then post the whatsit it makes! :D

Upvote 0
aa battery said:
Makes couplers for electric wire or cables.?
Makes the BIGGEST PASTA NOODLES you ever saw......... :D :D I am agreeing with a tool for making a .....rivets...couplers....something to do with leather closures....Maybe I just don't know.....Mojjax...was this piece with the other pieces or was it from somewhere else?

Upvote 0
I think it might be a swager for bullets or fishing weights. Lead wire would go into the open end and the whole thing would be placed in a press and pressure would squish out the lead object. I've seen swaging machines but never dies exactly like that. Monty

Upvote 0
Michelle said:
aa battery said:
Makes couplers for electric wire or cables.?
Makes the BIGGEST PASTA NOODLES you ever saw......... :D :D I am agreeing with a tool for making a .....rivets...couplers....something to do with leather closures....Maybe I just don't know.....Mojjax...was this piece with the other pieces or was it from somewhere else?
I found the top piece out in the 'shed' last week , yesterday I was out there poking around and I found the other half on the floor under the work bench . I havn't found any other similar pieces ,yet .

Upvote 0
I've been told I'm too bold
But about your mold
Please don't scold
But I don't think it's very old
And it ain't worth much gold
Good luck getting it sold
I've gotta go now, it's cold

Upvote 0
Does it look like it may have had a vise that attached to a bench or table? It looks like a mold for an electric razor head.....

Attachments

• mojjax1.jpg
    mojjax1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
"There are old gunfighters and bold gunfighters,
But there are no old bold gunfighters". unknown author

What's that have to do with anything? Nothing that I know of but it's poetic irony....I think? Monty

Upvote 0
I wonder if the 3 holes are to facilitate the removal of the molded object from the mold.

It looks WAY to heavy for molding food products or candles. It looks like it would dissipate a lot of heat from the liquid poured into it.

It also had to fit into a vice or something to hold it upright and keep it together. But then, wouldn't the liquid dribble out through the holes?

I can't think of anything that would need to be that shape, though...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I have no idea, but I have a weird thought. I was trying to figure out what I would use it for. I wonder if it would work to make old fashioned drop shot, where they would pour the lead from a relatively high vantage point into water. The lead would round and solidify in the air and then cool in the water. This mold could work for that, the three holes would insure that you have smaller lead pieces.
It's just a thought, not a great one, but the only one I have :'(

Upvote 0
What does the other piece look like that you didnt post both sides of?os it just flat....???

Upvote 0
I poured some melted wax in it - got this ?

Attachments

• IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
First I have seen this. I used to work at an iron and bronze foundry (in purchasing) and I can tell you that there was either another portion or some object(s) were inserted in the three openings. And that insert or piece would have had to come back out when the mold is opened so the formed part could be removed from the mold.

As the mold itself appears to be bronze it would have been for a much lower melting point metal - lead, tin, zinc or even wax or rubber.

I don't know if any of that info helps. I don't have any idea what that part would be used for. If rubber perhaps some kind of weatherproofing grommet for three wires/electrical cables entering a single hole?

Upvote 0
13 years to pour the wax..:laughing7: Loving your style Mojax.

chub

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back