Old military button

Brent80

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1270, Minelab ExSE
I found this in my backyard. Is it a Civil War button or is it newer? Can anyone tell me more about it? Thanks.
1.jpg

Dont think that is a CW button but i am no button expert I will let some of the more knowlegded people on here decide. Nice find though either way ;D

Upvote 0
Well - it's a beautiful guilted General Service Eagle Button! Man what a looker! It appears to be made in the "muffin" style... These eagle buttons were the norm until 1902 when the U.S.Army adopted the current style - the U.S.Army Great Seal Button.

It's possible it saw action someplace but there is NO way to tell... for example, is your backyard a CW battlefield? A skirmish site? A training camp? A military camp of any kind? With no clues as to where you live it's kinda hard to tell... well, impossible to tell who lost it. Did a CW vet live in your house?

Also - the only way to date your button is to see the back mark... what's written on the back?

She's a beauty!

Upvote 0
tell us what it says on the back and also count the stars around the front that will help us with the age and what exact button it , because there were alot of varieties

Upvote 0
Army General Staff officer's button— probably Albert's #GS 17 (a.k.a. Tice's # GS 232), c. 1860's.

Upvote 0
I think it has 28 stars on it. It says Horstman & Co on the back. I live in a small town west of Minneapolis. The house I live in was built in 1907 but I know there used to be older buildings on my block including the one from the town's founder in the 1800's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back