• 105_1284.jpg
    105_1284.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 839
  • 105_1286.jpg
    105_1286.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 859
Hi Strawberry Blonde,

Welcome to TreasureNet! :hello:

The square nails you are finding, are likely pre-1900, and a bit older than the metal cases. My hunch is that what you have there are 1930's era tobacco paper cases. During the period, "rolling your own" was the popular way to smoke a cigarette. :) The Great Depression, drew many in search of ways to earn a dollar. California, and many other Western states, were mined extensively by individuals reworking the old "diggins" of earlier years. 1930's discards are commonly encountered along the rivers and streams of the Mother Lode region.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
CC Hunter,
I had a hunch they were related to tobacco/cigarettes in some way! The holes made me wonder though. I just started working the area so hopefully I will find lots more interesting discards. This site is great. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Strawberry Blonde,

After a bit of online sleuthing, I'm leaning more towards an early cigarette tin, rather than a case for holding rolling papers. I'm thinking the holes in back are vents, to prevent condensation from forming inside the tin box. According to what I've learned thus far, it appears this style of tin case can date back to around the turn-of-the century, so the square nail era and tin tobacco case may not be too far apart in years. I'm no smoker myself, and the 1930's are a bit before my time, so we're not dealing with an expert opinion here. :laughing7:

Here's a similar case (except no vent holes)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82527916/wonderful-antique-cigarette-tin-lord

Best wishes on your search, and if some funny looking yellow rocks make you detector beep, please do not discard them! ;D

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Yes! That looks exactly like it. I wonder if the holes were only on a certain brand, their idea for freshness or something. Hahaha yes I have found that pretty shiny metal panning.. so it is only a matter of time before the detector goes off on a giant nugget :) and the only place I will be discarding it is at the gold buying shop!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum .. :hello2: Yes those do look like tobbaco paper tin cans. If your finding square nails near a placer mine site thats evidence of permanent structures made by miners. Search the area well and dig all targets as this will help you identify what was happening there years ago. My best finds are found in smal camps, patches no bigger than 20'x20' on acres of land. So the key is to find that camp or camps in these vast areas, and you will find some good stuff.... :blob7: :blob7:. Good Luck and thanks for sharing your finds....Happy Hunting, R.H.

Upvote 0
:headbang: Nice finds SB. You need more time alone to detect your property. Kids don't help the process of wondering the property and exploring. Soon enough. Keep up the hunt for treasures. :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0
I collect tobacco & ciggarette tins and have probably somewhere around 50. Also have books about them. I Have never seen any with holes in them. Contrary to the theory that the holes would keep the tobacco fresh, in fact it would cause it to dry out and become stale very quickly. Maybe for rolling papers as someone else said but if so it's a brand I've never seen.

Upvote 0
SB ~

It looks like your 49er's might have struck it rich and were able to afford "Cigars" instead of cigarettes. If you Google search "Vintage Cigar Tins," you should be able to find lots of them, like the one here shown with holes for ventilation. I don't know anything about this particular brand, but I did see lots of cigar tins that had holes in the bottom. :icon_thumleft:

SBB ~

Attachments

• Cigar Tin - Cover.jpg
    Cigar Tin - Cover.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Cigar Tin - Bottom with Holes.jpg
    Cigar Tin - Bottom with Holes.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0
SBB ~

Yes! I think you solved it! The photos you posted look exactly the same as what was found. Thank you. :icon_thumright:

~ SB

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back