✅ SOLVED Old Leather Mitt / Glove with Metal Studs

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having success getting my League of American Wheelmen pin identified (shout out to ffuries!), I thought I’d try another item thats been sitting gathering dust while I struggle to research it.

This leather mitt was purchased by me at a garage sale. As I was looking at it, the older lady running the sale asked me if I knew what it was, and I ventured a guess that it was possibly something used while welding. She said that she was told it was used by the British for de-mining operations, i.e. land mines, during World War II.

I was skeptical from the start, and the longer I’ve had it, the more I am leaning towards it being some sort of a mitt for handling concertina wire or a barbwire. I’m hoping it still had some military application, as I find that very cool and interesting.

Mitt measures approximately 13” long by 7” wide. It is unmarked as far as maker or any other identifying information.

Any help would be much appreciated. All the best, and happy hunting!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565015323.238338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565015341.956067.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565015358.020207.jpg

Thank you for confirming my hunch! I’m disappointed its not a cool piece of vintage militaria, but its nice to learn a little about something outside my area of expertise. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
For wrangling snakes.

Google:

"Drain Cleaning Gloves"

Drain.jpg

Upvote 0
Good I'd zi was thinking an oven Mitt lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back