✅ SOLVED Old lead toy soldier, from when???

Lexicon Devil

Oct 7, 2014
Whatcom Co, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today, folks. It is my first lead figurine. I need help in figuring out its age. There are no identifying marks and the paint is chipped off too much to determine anything from that. The only other thing about it is there is a hole behind the left shoulder between the backpack and the shoulder. 10383965_10153275952205791_3493298493489307591_n.jpg11357346_10153276016065791_1338421216852578301_o.jpg

Hi Lexicon,
If you look at the soldier, you can see how there is a distinct raised edge that goes all around the soldier. This leads me to believe your figure is a "homecast" figure, which literally means it was cast at home, and wasn't made by a company. As you can see from my pictures, I have a homcast soldier that shows the distinct mold mark around him and how two molds fit around him. Regular soldiers, being produced professionally in factories, would usually not have the crude edges that homecast soldiers do, because they were produced to sell and needed to make a good appearance. Homecast has been around for a very long time and go back to the early 20th century. However, you could still make them today if you had molds, so there is no definite way to date homecast soldiers, but I'd guess your soldier, if original, could be from around WWII to the 1950's or 1960's, but that's only an educated guess.:laughing7:
101_0719.JPG101_0720.JPG101_0721.JPG

Upvote 0
Looks like he let his guard down and was shot,vanzutphen

Upvote 0
Hi Lexicon,
If you look at the soldier, you can see how there is a distinct raised edge that goes all around the soldier. This leads me to believe your figure is a "homecast" figure, which literally means it was cast at home, and wasn't made by a company. As you can see from my pictures, I have a homcast soldier that shows the distinct mold mark around him and how two molds fit around him. Regular soldiers, being produced professionally in factories, would usually not have the crude edges that homecast soldiers do, because they were produced to sell and needed to make a good appearance. Homecast has been around for a very long time and go back to the early 20th century. However, you could still make them today if you had molds, so there is no definite way to date homecast soldiers, but I'd guess your soldier, if original, could be from around WWII to the 1950's or 1960's, but that's only an educated guess.:laughing7:
View attachment 1169576View attachment 1169577View attachment 1169578

Thanks, Kevlardini! That is some good info. in am probability, it came from the boy scouts that used to live in the houses here in the 50's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back