Old Jewelry? - SOLVED

smokewagons

Mar 16, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7a, Whites Coinmaster, Whites Surfmaster, Garrett AT Pro
I found these on the grounds of a college which dates back to the late 1800's. I think they are made of brass and they are about the size of a nickel. They have (or had) pinbacks so they could be worn on clothing. I wonder if they are strictly jewelry or if they signify something such as a fraternity, sorority, sports, some type of club? There are no makers marks that I can see. Maybe they had something attached such as a ribbon which long since rotted away. Has anyone seen anything similar?

Attachments

• DSC02808.JPG
    DSC02808.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC02807.JPG
    DSC02807.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 398
Re: Old Jewelry?

I have seen these on here before & I they are jewelry/pin (brooch as we call them). I think they are just post WWI - WWII era.

Upvote 0

They appear to be "faux buckle" pins dating from the late 1800's or early 1900's. When the pin is attached to a ribbon or sash, the elongated portions in the center look like buckle tines piercing the fabric.

Upvote 0

PBK said:
They appear to be "faux buckle" pins dating from the late 1800's or early 1900's. When the pin is attached to a ribbon or sash, the elongated portions in the center look like buckle tines piercing the fabric.

I first thought late 19th C but the fixings look like post war one's that I have found in the past?

Upvote 0

You may be right, although the one on the left appears to have a tube catch, which is more typical of the date range I cited. It's hard to tell exactly what type the pin on the right has, but I think it may be a Burgess safety catch. If so, then the earliest date for it would be 1909.

Upvote 0

Very interesting info. and thank you for the replies.

Upvote 0
I agree with a previous poster... They look like they both might be a brooch. The one one the right (oval one) looks similar to cameo broochs that I have seen.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back