Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old inscriptions,pictures & campaign button

hey everyone
this really has nothing to do with metal detecting at all but here goes...

my dad and I went to an old house in Fayetteville to ghost hunt :P
they are remodeling and when they took down an old mantelpiece they found these...

an old inscription maybe from a tombstone: good frend for jesus sake forebare, to digg the dust enclosed heare, blest be the man that spares these stones, and curst be he that moves my bones (spelling is exactly from the inscription)

an old picture of a Dr. W. L. Douglas (turn of the century)
an old picture of a woman in a dress (turn of the century)

upon further inspection of the mantel, we found:
a Theodore Roosevelt campaign button dated July 31st, 1896 made by Wlstehead & Hoag, Newark, N. J. U. S.
and an old paper picture frame with writing on the back saying: Dr. Dimpsey and Sister barely visible in old ink

anyone have any additional info on any of these?

Re: old inscriptions,pictures & campaign button

ok i think some of our investigators did take pictures but if not, ill get some next time

i do have some pictures on my phone but i dont think i can get them on here

Upvote 0

Are you sure it wasnt Dempsey/ Dempsey is a very old name from WV and they had several doctors.

Is this house in the historic district and do you have any additional info on its history?

I would think that the inscription means that someonesashes are in the fireplace or else their body is buried under the hearth.

Upvote 0

the inscription was taken to an antique dealer and they said it was a copy of an etching
the house is from early 1900s at least cuz the guy that lived there was a doctor in the 1930s
he died in room 7 and his son died in the basement

ill try to get more info on the house and ill see if i can metal detect there sometime too ;)

Upvote 0

Redneckin Rookie said:
an old inscription maybe from a tombstone: good frend for jesus sake forebare, to digg the dust enclosed heare, blest be the man that spares these stones, and curst be he that moves my bones (spelling is exactly from the inscription)

That is the same epitaph which appears on the grave of William Shakespeare. Supposedly, he wrote it himself and left instructions for it to be engraved upon his tomb.

gravestone.gif

Upvote 0

PBK said:
Redneckin Rookie said:

That is the same epitaph which appears on the grave of William Shakespeare. Supposedly, he wrote it himself and left instructions for it to be engraved upon his tomb.

so would u say its safe for the workers to take out the whole fireplace? lol
they were worried about finding a skeleton then being cursed for ever haha

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Redneckin Rookie said:
gypsyheart said:
Is this place known as Blumehaven?

holy crap lol yes it is

how u find that out?

Lets just say I have a Gypsy's gift of seeing things........ ;) and leave it at that .........I would keep looking

Upvote 0

I can almost remember:

T. Roosevelt in 1896 was in charge of the NYPD, not running for office. In '97 he joined McKinley's administration, then ran successfully for NY governor 98. In 1900 he became the VP of the USA and then Pres. upon the assassination of McKinley in 1901.

The date of 1896 is probably relates more with the date Whitehead and Hoag established a business making political buttons.

Upvote 0

dangit gypsy lol

thanks for all the info guys

the button looked like one of these
i believe the one on the right

Attachments

• teddy.jpg
    teddy.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

i researched the elections of 1896 and 1900 and Roosevelt only ran in the 1900 one as Vice President so the button is from 1900....correct?

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back