Old house gives up 14K Gold "Baby" Ring

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fathers Day weekend was a great time I got to do some detecting, fishing and got treated to a great dinner with Son and two Grandsons. Now a relic Hunter like me doesn't find much jewelry and very few gold rings, but I had the opportunity to go over an older home circa 1920s that hasn't been occupied for some time. Hoping to dig some old coins i used my little fisher gold bug which gets in between all the junk. I found a few odds and ends but got a fairly strong signal. I was surprised to find what I thought was a tiny gold earring about 2 inches deep. Got home, threw it in some soapy water and put the loupe on it sure enough the 14k 1/20 RGP and the number 1 stood out, (size 1). Id never heard of a Baby Ring until i did a bit of research, my understanding is these rings were popular gifts to Infants and small children in the mid 1900s.

Attachments

• ringc.jpg
    ringc.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 67
  • ring120.jpg
    ring120.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 18
Fathers Day weekend was a great time I got to do some detecting, fishing and got treated to a great dinner with Son and two Grandsons. Now a relic Hunter like me doesn't find much jewelry and very few gold rings, but I had the opportunity to go over an older home circa 1920s that hasn't been occupied for some time. Hoping to dig some old coins i used my little fisher gold bug which gets in between all the junk. I found a few odds and ends but got a fairly strong signal. I was surprised to find what I thought was a tiny gold earring about 2 inches deep. Got home, threw it in some soapy water and put the loupe on it sure enough the 14k 1/20 RGP and the number 1 stood out, (size 1). Id never heard of a Baby Ring until i did a bit of research, my understanding is these rings were popular gifts to Infants and small children in the mid 1900s.
very nice recovery and happy fathers day

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Nice find, the babys rings were popular in the 1970's and 1980's as well. Both of my kids who were born in 1977 and 1986 have one.

Great find. Was it a faint signal? Seeing the size of it, would think it would not be a very strong signal.

Great find. Was it a faint signal? Seeing the size of it, would think it would not be a very strong signal.
Strong enough, pegged higher than a pull tab, that little gold bug can go down surprisingly deep and is super sensitive to gold

I used to size baby rings occasionally. Awful things to try to hold while polishing because they're so small. The company no longer sells them because they're a swallowing/choking hazard

I used to size baby rings occasionally. Awful things to try to hold while polishing because they're so small. The company no longer sells them because they're a swallowing/choking hazard
I have to laugh at that, yes baby proof everything.
So the kid grows up in a sheltered bubble.

I have to laugh at that, yes baby proof everything.
So the kid grows up in a sheltered bubble.

yes pepperj, it's amazing we managed to live to become adults. Growing up I rode in cars with metal dashboards and no seatbelts, played with toys that have tiny parts and accessories, carried a pocket knife, rode a bicycle with no helmet, lived in a home with guns in the closet instead of a safe, drank from a garden hose, roamed the streets without a cell phone, shot bottle rockets with my friends at each other, and so on.....

yes pepperj, it's amazing we managed to live to become adults. Growing up I rode in cars with metal dashboards and no seatbelts, played with toys that have tiny parts and accessories, carried a pocket knife, rode a bicycle with no helmet, lived in a home with guns in the closet instead of a safe, drank from a garden hose, roamed the streets without a cell phone, shot bottle rockets with my friends at each other, and so on.....
We could do short cuts through anyone's yard and never get questioned.
I guess we're very fortunate to have had such freedom in our lives.

We could do short cuts through anyone's yard and never get questioned.
I guess we're very fortunate to have had such freedom in our lives.
I grew up that way also.... Every mom in the neighborhood would watch out for ALL kids. Get in trouble with 1 and your in trouble when ya get home...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back