Old horse shoe what kind of horse

I would guess that was for logging...d2

Upvote 0
Lol........ I think it had gold paint on it at one time........ Those listed look like the could break in two compared to this one

Upvote 0
Actually its somewhat small for a Clydesdale or Percheron draft horse which is most common in the US, and their shoes are 10 to 12 inches.

Its more like a heavier standard bred like a quarter horse or Morgan...and maybe thoroughbreds...

On the other hand, Arabs, Peruvians and similar lighter horses have smaller more refined feet, and their shoes are 6 to 7 inches.

Secondly, the majority of blacksmiths or ferrier's use bar steel to form shoes and not cast iron which takes a foundry like firebox.

If its cast iron, which it may be, then its factory made vs. hand-made. You can see a slight casting flange on the inside of the arch...

These type of shoes with studs or toe and heal clips are used for work in snow or muddy conditions only.

Normally, shoes are replaced every 6 weeks on the average due to shoe wear and hoof growth.

FYI...the factory-made shoe shown comes in many sizes and cannot be shaped by heating in a hearth and beaten on an anvil...remember its cast iron and would shatter if treated like bar steel. Additionally, the shoe doesn't indicate any wear and may never had been afixed to a horses hoof.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What will you put up next. I look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a mule shoe, sides should be straighter for a mule. I think it's a hind shoe with cleats for traction in mud. I think I remember
back in the '60's, Diamond horse shoe company sold shoes that allowed cleats like those to be attached to shoes that were especially made
for them. Diamond shoes are drop forged, and can be worked either cold or hot.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back