Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Been a little busy with work and family. never enough time to post my finds in recent weeks. A few days ago i went back to an old farm which was once part of a huge sheep run. Called the Ravenswoods Sheep Run . First land grant for those in favour of the the British Colonial Authority.
Yes pecking order even among the british of birth right . EG Lord Goofy 's brother in law. LOL
The run was a land grant of about 1200 square miles . About quarter was sold off to smaller holders. Still under lease as Queen Victoria still held all rights. This suddenly changes when gold was decovered in 1851. Boundardies of the lease were moved . and the gold feild was opened. Didn,t really matter as thousands of miners just helped themselves. No police or troops for the first 6 months of the gold rush.

The farm i have been hunting is on the edge of th gold bearing ground and wasn,t really affected by mining over the last 160 years.The farm has had numerous owners. The last owner doesn,t know much about the history of the farm. Runs a few hundred head of cattle and stores hay on the site these days.

Lots of interesting history. This one is a mind blower

Found a few ww1 & WW2 relics. Why on a farm. Australia never had a huge army but would call upon the people to form one in the time of need. Even with a population of less than 6 million in 1914 , managed to find nearly 400,000 volunteers to help the british in WW1 Near 100 battlalions .

Was not having of a day by any mding standards . Quite average. Idea pops up in the old scone? The owner said "i could go for my life" Or take as you please. I decided to search the old out sheds. In box in the back of a disused hay baler shed i found these 2 funny old post cards.

I had a great laugh at them. Cool find nice keeper. Once a home i read the back of the post card and my eyeballs hit the floor. These were sent back to Australia from a WW 1 soldier about to go to the front in late 1916.

On the bottom was a name Ted Chandler and got a date August 1916.
Bit of research and the story deepens

Ted nickname of Edward.

Edward Charles Chandler 3027 5th battalion 1914-1918 Killed in France few months before the end of the war. he spent 4 years in trench war and nearly made it. he must have seen a lot of horrible things. But could still have time spent a funny post card home.

http://www.awm.gov.au/unit/unit_11192.asp

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1700.jpg
    100_1700.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_1714.jpg
    100_1714.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_1716.jpg
    100_1716.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_1717.jpg
    100_1717.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_1718.jpg
    100_1718.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 2

VERY nice job of history preservation. You should be able to find some suitable plastic sleeves to keep them from further deterioration. A museum might even be interested in putting them on display. Thanks for the story.

Chuck

amazing the post cards are in such good shape. I love them. coins are ae bonus

Hi When you live in a place that is very dry and sometimes we get little rain .The last drought lasted 7 years. I have gold rush buttons with thread still on them .

tinpan

wow! outstanding history there! and great story- you just never know what you'll find when you start looking!!! :)

Nice coins.

Great finds, kinda sad that he made it that far only to die so close to the end of the war......

Somewhere out there, there is a descendant. Are you going to look for them? Well done!! :icon_thumleft:

thank you for sharring this bit of history...its a shame he didnt make it...HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back