Old gold surprise!

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's been a while since I've been able to post some gold. I went back out to the spot where I've found 7 or 8 silvers, 4 Indians, a number of wheats and the KGII Farthing. Thought I would go a little slower than usual with the small coil this time. Not too many signals over the course of about 90 minutes (did manage a 1917 wheat), so I thought that I might head out and try a different spot. On the way, I got what initially occurred to me as a trash signal- a 4" deep target bouncing from 48 to 50 in all directions. Something told me that I should dig this one- can't explain why- but am I glad that I did! I got the target out of the hole and immediately noticed that it was orangish-gold in color and round. Could it be? A GOLD RING! My first in many months. Knowing that I couldn't possibly top it- I headed straight home. It cleaned up beautifully- stamped 10K with a big ruby- and in an art nouveau style- meaning it has to be at least 120 years old. And the icing on the cake? It fits my wife perfectly! Thanks for looking and happy hunting, all!

Attachments

• image-2708815759.jpg
    image-2708815759.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 237
  • image-1946480941.jpg
    image-1946480941.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 245
  • image-1350061611.jpg
    image-1350061611.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 258
  • image-3772223059.jpg
    image-3772223059.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 239
  • image-2662121507.jpg
    image-2662121507.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 250
  • image-1970032129.jpg
    image-1970032129.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 287
  • image-749586686.jpg
    image-749586686.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 33
Love that gem and ring. Very nice find!

Mi$terG , Very Nice ring !!! I think the style is closer to Art Deco -than Nouveau , i would date it more 1920's -30's the stone may
be a Spinel - In that size I think a ruby would be set in 18K on up . Great Find !

really pretty ring. What is Spinel ???

Nice digs. Yes that is a nice old gold surprise, wow, nice save.

BosnMate , Regarding what Spinel is , I wasn't sure either but according to Wikipedia - Spinel is a naturally occurring mineral
in the Magnesium Aluminum Oxide group - it's crystal system is isometric - it is 7.5 - 8 on Moh's scale of hardness (pretty hard)
It has been found in Sri Lanka and Burma (among other places) It commonly occurs in shades of red , darker greens , and browns
It has historically been confused with Ruby most notably the so called "Black Prince's Ruby" actually a Spinel . It's visual similarity
to Ruby has made it an attractive and less expensive alternative in the jewelry industry for some time .

Why do I always have to be the bearer of bad news, :BangHead: I'm sorry... :dontknow: Its not a ruby its glass and its not 120 years old its from the 30's or 40's.... :icon_scratch:Its still 10k gold and a vintage ring, so its still worth maybe $100 :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

There is NO gold, like an old gold! :)

Really lovely piece!

I'll be taking it to my jeweler this week to fix it- will see what the stone is and let you guys know.

Why do I always have to be the bearer of bad news, :BangHead: I'm sorry... :dontknow: Its not a ruby its glass and its not 120 years old its from the 30's or 40's.... :icon_scratch:Its still 10k gold and a vintage ring, so its still worth maybe $100

REALLY!?!?! MUDD! :nono:

From a picture!?!?

Even if you are 100 percent correct! Why rain on another's parade!!???

I used to have a teacher like that, no matter what I did right. Pick! Pick! Pick! it's why I haven't written my book yet! ;)

Awesome! Congrats! You scored twice nice find and a happy wife! WTG!

WHADIFIND- I want a signed copy.

Last edited:
that's a beauty of a ring! It's one thing finding new gold, but to find a gold ring that's almost 100 years old is different.

Guys, :dontknow:

Give me a break... :icon_scratch: I'm not doing it to be a Jerk !! I've found many low quality pieces thinking I got the big bucks... :hello2: Only to find out it was fake later, its very disappointing !!! :sadsmiley: I don't know what's worse telling this person that they have a banner find when they likely don't. ??? Later to find out its glass or telling them not to get their hopes up.. OK, so this is how I know... First of all Quality stones are hardly ever set in 10k (low karat gold) 2nd the color is way off for a Ruby, rubies are more brilliant and bright. This is dull and set in 10k. I have two things telling me that its not a genuine ruby... Now you guys tell him he's a rich man and let him buy a plane ticket to Jamaica now and he's likely going to find out its glass !! I'm trying to avoid the disappointment I got when I found my fake stones... So you tell me what's worse ?? :occasion14: If I'm wrong oh well, he'll be happy to find such a nice stone. :headbang: If I'm right he won't be disappointed later by a bunch of people who don't know what they are talking ABOUT ! :BangHead:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Tell me what ones glass and what ones real ??

Attachments

• ruby.jpg
    ruby.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back