Old farmhouse

J

Joe (Memphis)

On my way home from work Monday I saw a dozer clearing a pieceof land with a barn on it so I stopped and asked permission, he said "sure you can't hurt anything" by the way there was a house over there.... So since then I have been hitting it every day after work. So far I have 35 pennies (one a 1940 wheat) and 2 dimes (both 1980). The finds are coming from both sides of where the porch was out about 20' and out to 30' in front of it. I am getting a bunch of multiple signals showing up as junk, so I ordered a 4.5" coil. So, will the GTP 1350 "only" find pennies? Do I have to move up to the 2500 to get quarters or maybe some silver?? ;)

Upvote 0
Todays finds...

My first quarter (1988) my first nickle (1981) found it running with only the first 3 notched out. 1 dime (1982) and 6 pennies, one of them a wheat (1945) I am beginning to think this site isnt as old as I believed. I did find a concrete slab about 3' square on the low side of where the house was, when I moved it there was nothing but dirt underneath. It had strange rebar in it, it wasn't round, it was square, twisted in a spiral...
JT

I don't always have the patience or time it takes to dig up all the junk in order to get to the goodies. But if i don't have to worry about damage to the area and it's fairly shallow ( not a foot down ) i'll dig up the larger junk signals. Removing a 12 in. piece of iron effectively opens up a 2 ft. window to the goodies. HH

So true... The bes thing about this place is when I got permission, and unpacked my folding military shovel, the owner said " You didn't bring nearly enough shovel!!" After that I knew I could do no wrong! ;D Now if I could just find something OLD!!

Thank you, I didn't know if that was something in wide circulation, or just some old metal they dug up (no pun) to make that slab.

Lonewolfe is RIGHT about how to set-up your Garrett M.D. I have been Hunting with my CX III for 10 years......and I (Started out) using the coins pre-set.....I notched out everything but dimes on up and thought there was no silver anywhere I detected...Thing I didn't realize was in using alot of discrimination ..I was cutting my depth by at least half.....Using very low discrimination (Notching out foil and to the left of) I had to dig ALOT more (until I learned to decipher the good audio signals) Then I still dug alot ,,but my finds increased 10 fold....And I Knew pretty much the difference between digging a clad,and digging silver...Heck in my first 2 years of Metal Detecting ,,,,,,MY nick-name.....Would have been........McNewPenny.......L.O.L.

I think my nickname is gonna be Mc Zinc Penny..... ;D Yea Lonewolfe has it figured out. FYI I went back today (my shiny new 4.5" coil came in Sat) and I went over the same place that has been producing the coins all week, and pulled out 6 more pennies from the SAME place I have been hunting for a week. In trashy ground the smaller coils are great! (but don't seem to hunt as deep) got my new finds in the sonic cleaner, it seems to do a pretty good job.
JT

McNickle said:
Lonewolfe is RIGHT about how to set-up your Garrett M.D. I have been Hunting with my CX III for 10 years......and I (Started out) using the coins pre-set.....I notched out everything but dimes on up and thought there was no silver anywhere I detected...Thing I didn't realize was in using alot of discrimination ..I was cutting my depth by at least half.....Using very low discrimination (Notching out foil and to the left of) I had to dig ALOT more (until I learned to decipher the good audio signals) Then I still dug alot ,,but my finds increased 10 fold....And I Knew pretty much the difference between digging a clad,and digging silver...Heck in my first 2 years of Metal Detecting ,,,,,,MY nick-name.....Would have been........McNewPenny.......L.O.L.

How do you like that Grand Master Hunter CXIII mcnickle?

I owned/used one for approx. 3 yrs (8 or 10 yrs back) and loved it (can't beat that vco pinpoint)!

I used a 5x10 eliptical coil on mine 95% of the time, and it was a killer (dead on) for coins in trashy areas up to approx. 10 inches deep - plus, it was lighter/easier to swing set up like that!

Sometimes I'd use a 12.5 inch coil depending on where I was hunting.

HH

Post some finds!

Lonewolfe

Hi lonewolfe,,OK ,I'll take a pic of what I have left of the toys,rings,silver,and clad I found the last 2-3 years...I have given away most of the rings (no gold) to friends and family..Put awy most of the silver and wheeties in books(don't know if I can remember which were found and which were bought except for some of the wheeties)...I have cashed in most of the clad (to buy batteries and other toys).(still have to buy a rock tumbler)..I like my CX III just fine,and not having purchased a M.D. in over 9 years,.I am getting the itch to buy another but I will have to do some research,cause I MAY go with another brand....Will post with in a week or so when I dig that stuff out...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back