Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,182
  • GetAttachment1.jpg
    GetAttachment1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,159
:icon_scratch:

You say it come from the ground like you see it :icon_scratch: any more pictures :icon_scratch: the ones posted look to be in black and white :help:

SS

Upvote 0
A color pic may help but even with a black and white picture you can tell its a modern replica copy and a very poor one. Several cast fakes of this date are known, including some copies marketed by Disney World at their Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop. It appears to be a recent drop. How it got at the site is anyones guess.

The coin is dated 1736 and would be solid gold if it was real. Heres a similar example from Sedwicks scroll to the very bottom.. http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm

Upvote 0
I have hunted this site with old hunter for a couple of years now everything we have found has been period from 1786 on into the 1800's i found a bale seal in really decent shape within feet of where this coin was dug along with an abundance of buttons and coins to that period. its either silver or gold it was in too good of shape when he dug it to be a lesser metal....my thoughts if its not real is a very old counterfeit its weights right for that coinage....does anyone know if they might of made a fake one back then outta silver and plated it with gold?

Upvote 0
dafirechief said:
I have hunted this site with old hunter for a couple of years now everything we have found has been period from 1786 on into the 1800's i found a bale seal in really decent shape within feet of where this coin was dug along with an abundance of buttons and coins to that period. its either silver or gold it was in too good of shape when he dug it to be a lesser metal....my thoughts if its not real is a very old counterfeit its weights right for that coinage....does anyone know if they might of made a fake one back then outta silver and plated it with gold?
The modern replicas are almost always shiny plated pot metal. Now if this coin is brass, gold or silver, a period counterfeit is a possibility.

At first glance it looks like one of the many cheap poor pot metal cast replicas. If its pot metal, it must be a recent drop. Surely you know what gold looks like. If you could identify the metal or post a color pic, it would help. It doesnt look silver or brass because they dont come out of the ground like that.

Take it to a pawn shop to have the metal tested and let us know if its gold or gold plated. My guess is plated base pot metal. It looks very cheaply made but this could get interesting if its something else..

You may also post in the Spanish cob section. Those guys can tell you more.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

• span cob replica old rev.jpg
    span cob replica old rev.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 988
  • span cob replica old obv.jpg
    span cob replica old obv.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,090
Upvote 0
dafirechief said:
:hello:

Some more pictures would be nice(colour) and a bit more imformation about the site, might be worth while getting a expert to look at the coin :read2:

SS

Upvote 0
I emailed the seller just for fun. I dont know what time it is in Algeria so I dont know when I will get a response. Im leaving town again today. Ill post the response in a week when I get back for those interested..

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I found one on Craigslist. Its claimed to be a 1736 gold escudo. Ill bet that if you email this seller, he will be from Algeria LOL. http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/clt/2220758385.html

Don't worry, those like (you), myself & IP who know ebay buying, know the score. No need to have a laugh, it's plain & simple for those in the know.

It such a bad copy, it laughable :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
I dont know why I fool with these Craigslist scammers. They are all the same. Send the money first and we will send the gold, car, camper, airplane, whatever lol.

Upvote 0
::)

Perhaps you should send the coin to one of these great experts on Treasure Net ::)

SS

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

Perhaps you should send the coin to one of these great experts on Treasure Net ::)

SS

Complete waste of postage which will be more than the copy itself. So I would suggest, not to bother.
Well you being the great expert, at least he would have the true answer ;D

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Complete waste of postage which will be more than the copy itself. So I would suggest, not to bother.
Well you being the great expert, at least he would have the true answer ;D

that is true, I'm surprised it took you so long to realise ;D
Only half as long, as this reply did for you :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
The original posters coin is not from the same mold as the other copies posted. There are too many differences in the position of the letters. While it is certainly not genuine, there is the possiblility of it being a period counterfeit. At the time platinum was worth less than gold and some counterfeits were made from platinum and plated gold because the platinum weighed about the same as gold. I think I would have the composition checked just for the heck of it. It is much smoother than the average cast pot metal piece.

Upvote 0
l.cutler said:
The original posters coin is not from the same mold as the other copies posted. There are too many differences in the position of the letters. While it is certainly not genuine, there is the possiblility of it being a period counterfeit. At the time platinum was worth less than gold and some counterfeits were made from platinum and plated gold because the platinum weighed about the same as gold. I think I would have the composition checked just for the heck of it. It is much smoother than the average cast pot metal piece.
No no...no need to Crusader said it's fake, surely he can't be wrong :o :o :o :laughing9:

Seriously your right, having it checked by someone in the know, can't hurt :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0
For what its worth, I emailed the Craigslist seller and he said I can view it. So maybe hes not from Algeria. It doesnt matter because it has no bearing on the coin in question.

l.cutler said:
yes i agree we need to know the metal content to consider a period counterfeit.

I didnt mean to imply the same exact mold was used. There were many different molds made over the years as this is an old pattern. I believe these 1736 escudo replicas pictured were all cast from the same PATTERN because there are too many similarities such as lettering shape, numbers and dots.. The lions, castles pillars and waves also have similar defects. Maybe its just coincidence but the 1736 was often copied and sold as replicas to tourists..

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
l.cutler said:
No no...no need to Crusader said it's fake, surely he can't be wrong :o :o :o :laughing9:

Seriously your right, having it checked by someone in the know, can't hurt :icon_thumleft:

SS

Funny how often I get the last laugh.

Just had a PM from the person that buried that fake...... want to continue..... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

No idea why you keep picking at this scab & me (maybe you don't like people who get it right :icon_scratch: ). I can (along with BigC) show you a list of links on this site (maybe I could jog your memory, it seems a little selective :laughing9: ) where we have been proved correct (so we can do it from a photo). How many can you list?

ACCEPT IT >:( & lose that chip on your shoulder, its getting boring. It must burden you greatly - let go!
Yes I got the same PM ;D but as your so thick you totally miss the point of my reply's :laughing9:
you make that your some type of expert ::) when infact your just a metal detectorist from
[mod]TERMS VIOLATION REMOVED[/mod] :laughing9:

As for the chip on my shoulder...well really, why would I have one, unless you think I am jealous of you laughing9: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back