deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdef325ae0744c30c3b77403c6b9e1df.jpg
My friend dug this yesterday on a property that was "booming" during the Civil War. The back is gone but there's still enough design on the front for us to get an accurate ID I believe. There seems to have been lettering around the extreme circumference of the coin's face. There also looks to be a what is left of a wooden ship sailing upon the sea. But what really has my interest is the skull and cross bones symbol at the top center. What in the world is this thing?!?!

Facebook: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour

Looks like a remembrance or mourning medallion for a twin stack iron clad ship, possibly an ocean liner, (Titanic and Lusitania were four stack). Maybe a careful cleaning will reveal more detail on the lettering, to help narrow it down. Best of luck. Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
I believe it says: The Battleship (something... Possibly Maine, which would make sense)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you rebury that near me so I can find it That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
The OPs button only has two stacks. I couldn't enhance the lettering but the skull and crossbones shows up a little better.

Attachments

• tnet (2).jpg
    tnet (2).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
OK ok I acknowledge the medal I posted is not the original Maine that was sunk nor is it a match. However its kinda similar in that it has nothing on the backside. A coin would have 2 sides. Without seeing the back I dont know if it fell off, corroded to toast or its a medal, medallion or button face. Maybe posting front and back would help.

I guess without a hole, its not a medal. But Im pretty sure a coin would have 2 sides, a denomination and country of origin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's definitely a "Remember The Maine" medal. It looks like there may have been a loop over the skull that's broken off. I couldn't find a match online for it. Cool find!

Upvote 0
It's REMEMBER THE MAINE which had two stacks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466766239.026220.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466766261.162698.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466766280.614581.jpg And the coin being sold has nothing on the back of it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Facebook: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back