Beach hunting yields 4 silvers and a dated buffalo, park hunt produces an Indian head penny

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to the beach for our usual fall outing. The weather was cool, but every day it was bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky. I spent time at 3 different beaches in the 5 days we were there, Bethany Beach, Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City Maryland.

BETHANY BEACH
I went onto the dune to go to the beach that first morning and there was no beach. The waves were washing up through the snow fence they put at the base of the dune. I have a few spots off the beach I work so I went to one of those. On another day I went to the beach when the wind had died down and the tide was low and worked sections of the beach. The beach was pretty dead, no foil, no tabs, 2 pennies and miraculously 2 rings. I did 2 morning hunts and one afternoon hunt in Bethany for a total of 10 hours(most of it on spots off the beach) using the CZ21. Altogether I found 155 coins with a face value of $13.49, assorted jewelry including 4 rings, a sinker, one piece o world war 2 ordinance (I usually find a ton of the stuff), a key, 2 zipper parts, a religious token, a pair of glasses, foil, some tabs and a buffalo nickel.

DSCN3574.jpeg

DSCN3579.jpeg

2 of the little jewelry pieces are silver. A charm like item with a small piece of chain attached and a small stud earring with a fake piece of opal in it. Nothing super, but silver is silver even if it is small.

DSCN3575.jpeg

One of the rings is a stainless dragon claw ring. My wife likes it and it fits. If she changes her mind it will be easy to sell. It looks cool.

DSCN3576.jpeg

The buffalo nickel was a real surprise. It has been in the sand (sandy soil off the beach) for a few years, but no more than 5 by my estimation of the condition of the coin. It probably got into circulation from granddads coin jar through the coinstar. I was pleased to see the date showing, 1929.

DSCN3580.jpeg

IMG_9285.jpeg

REHOBOTH BEACH
I spent one morning at Rehoboth Beach. Again the beach was very quiet, a quarter, a penny and a zipper pull. So after a while I went to a spot just off the beach where I usually have some luck. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 57 coins with a face value of $5.16, a stainless number tag, a wheatie (1956D), a couple pieces of cheapie jewelry, a squashed penny, a zipper pull, an ace bandage clip, and of course foil and tabs. Nothing really noteworthy here.

DSCN3569.jpeg

OCEAN CITY
At Ocean City there is a wide section of dry beach in the south. It never really has waves wash over it, but they do use equipment to keep the beach flat so things do get moved around. However the lost items don’t get washed away either, just moved around and sometimes buried.

I spent 11 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 73 coins with a face value of $4.26, glasses frames without lenses, a sportcraft disk (not sure what it was used for), jewelry, a zipper piece, 2 game tokens, fishing swivels (used by kite flyers from the Kite Loft), some oddball brass bits, a toy car, a few tent pegs, foil and tabs.

DSCN3570.jpeg

Two pieces of the jewelry are silver. The ring is sterling and the lobster claw clasp is silver as well. The clasp has been badly bent. The necklace it was on most likely broke under strain and the clasp flew off. No sign of the necklace so it was probably recovered by the owner. They only left me this tiny little clasp, but I’ll take it.

DSCN3572.jpeg

DSCN3571.jpeg

LITTLE PARK BACK HOME
After we got home I had a little time so I thought I’d end the week with one hunt close to home. I went to the park closest to my home that has 6 fairly large sports fields, a tot lot and a fishing pond. I have covered a lot of it, but not all and I do go back and redo spots for new losses that turn up.

This trip I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 in a spot I haven’t covered before and found 68 coins with a face value of $5.92, 3 key charms, an Indian head penny, a ring, a gear, 2 bullets, part of an inflation needle, a pink ribbon pin, a modern button, foil and can slaw.

DSCN3584.jpeg

The Indian head penny was a nice surprise. I have found them here before, but they don’t come up very often. The park is only about 40 years old. This penny was lost long before the park was built. It is a 1907 and in very good shape for this area. Usually they come out pretty messed up. Normally I find 2 or 3 IHPs a year, but recently I have been finding them on a regular basis. This makes 7 in the last 5 weeks. I hope it continues.

DSCN3585.jpeg

DSCN3586.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg

I did find one memorial cent incased in asphalt. It must have been paved over at some point. How it got in the middle of the field is a mystery we will never solve.

DSCN3587.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
Walking around I managed to find 2 pennies and 2 dimes, woo hoo. I also found an earring in a parking lot. I spotted it as I was pulling in to park. It is marked 925, but the mangled dangle looks and bends like aluminum and the ear hook where it is marked is definitely copper. Unfortunately a fake.

DSCN3577.jpeg

DSCN3578.jpeg

So another busy week with decent clad, 4 silvers, 5 rings, and Indian and a buffalo. I’m a happy guy. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 12
We went to the beach for our usual fall outing. The weather was cool, but every day it was bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky. I spent time at 3 different beaches in the 5 days we were there, Bethany Beach, Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City Maryland.

BETHANY BEACH
I went onto the dune to go to the beach that first morning and there was no beach. The waves were washing up through the snow fence they put at the base of the dune. I have a few spots off the beach I work so I went to one of those. On another day I went to the beach when the wind had died down and the tide was low and worked sections of the beach. The beach was pretty dead, no foil, no tabs, 2 pennies and miraculously 2 rings. I did 2 morning hunts and one afternoon hunt in Bethany for a total of 10 hours(most of it on spots off the beach) using the CZ21. Altogether I found 155 coins with a face value of $13.49, assorted jewelry including 4 rings, a sinker, one piece o world war 2 ordinance (I usually find a ton of the stuff), a key, 2 zipper parts, a religious token, a pair of glasses, foil, some tabs and a buffalo nickel.

View attachment 2175657

View attachment 2175661

2 of the little jewelry pieces are silver. A charm like item with a small piece of chain attached and a small stud earring with a fake piece of opal in it. Nothing super, but silver is silver even if it is small.

View attachment 2175658

One of the rings is a stainless dragon claw ring. My wife likes it and it fits. If she changes her mind it will be easy to sell. It looks cool.

View attachment 2175659

The buffalo nickel was a real surprise. It has been in the sand (sandy soil off the beach) for a few years, but no more than 5 by my estimation of the condition of the coin. It probably got into circulation from granddads coin jar through the coinstar. I was pleased to see the date showing, 1929.

View attachment 2175660

View attachment 2175655

REHOBOTH BEACH
I spent one morning at Rehoboth Beach. Again the beach was very quiet, a quarter, a penny and a zipper pull. So after a while I went to a spot just off the beach where I usually have some luck. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 57 coins with a face value of $5.16, a stainless number tag, a wheatie (1956D), a couple pieces of cheapie jewelry, a squashed penny, a zipper pull, an ace bandage clip, and of course foil and tabs. Nothing really noteworthy here.

View attachment 2175654

OCEAN CITY
At Ocean City there is a wide section of dry beach in the south. It never really has waves wash over it, but they do use equipment to keep the beach flat so things do get moved around. However the lost items don’t get washed away either, just moved around and sometimes buried.

I spent 11 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 73 coins with a face value of $4.26, glasses frames without lenses, a sportcraft disk (not sure what it was used for), jewelry, a zipper piece, 2 game tokens, fishing swivels (used by kite flyers from the Kite Loft), some oddball brass bits, a toy car, a few tent pegs, foil and tabs.

View attachment 2175653

Two pieces of the jewelry are silver. The ring is sterling and the lobster claw clasp is silver as well. The clasp has been badly bent. The necklace it was on most likely broke under strain and the clasp flew off. No sign of the necklace so it was probably recovered by the owner. They only left me this tiny little clasp, but I’ll take it.

View attachment 2175656

View attachment 2175652

LITTLE PARK BACK HOME
After we got home I had a little time so I thought I’d end the week with one hunt close to home. I went to the park closest to my home that has 6 fairly large sports fields, a tot lot and a fishing pond. I have covered a lot of it, but not all and I do go back and redo spots for new losses that turn up.

This trip I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 in a spot I haven’t covered before and found 68 coins with a face value of $5.92, 3 key charms, an Indian head penny, a ring, a gear, 2 bullets, part of an inflation needle, a pink ribbon pin, a modern button, foil and can slaw.

View attachment 2175664

The Indian head penny was a nice surprise. I have found them here before, but they don’t come up very often. The park is only about 40 years old. This penny was lost long before the park was built. It is a 1907 and in very good shape for this area. Usually they come out pretty messed up. Normally I find 2 or 3 IHPs a year, but recently I have been finding them on a regular basis. This makes 7 in the last 5 weeks. I hope it continues.

View attachment 2175665

View attachment 2175666

View attachment 2175668

I did find one memorial cent incased in asphalt. It must have been paved over at some point. How it got in the middle of the field is a mystery we will never solve.

View attachment 2175667

NON DETECTOR FINDS
Walking around I managed to find 2 pennies and 2 dimes, woo hoo. I also found an earring in a parking lot. I spotted it as I was pulling in to park. It is marked 925, but the mangled dangle looks and bends like aluminum and the ear hook where it is marked is definitely copper. Unfortunately a fake.

View attachment 2175663

View attachment 2175662

So another busy week with decent clad, 4 silvers, 5 rings, and Indian and a buffalo. I’m a happy guy. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
super saves all around, lotta cool silver, thanks for posting

WOW NICE GOING 111 THANKS for sharing with us. The pictures are great also

Nice work!
The Sportcraft disc appears to be from their washer toss game; similar to horseshoes in theory. It was quite popular before the bag toss rage over took it.
IMG_3776.jpeg

Great detail
Congratulations on your achievement
Thanks again for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back