Old button

OpticalMouse

Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was outside my house, trying to catch my cat when I started throwing tiny pebbles by her to get her attention. As I reach for another pebble, I find I've picked up something that wasn't a rock.

Button 1.pngButton 2.pngButton 3.png
[Sorry about the terrible picture quality, the only camera I can afford to own is in my 2009 era cellphone.]

I thought it might be valuable so I didn't throw it, stuffing it in my pocket instead.

I did some research and this is what I think I know.

I found it in Pueblo Colorado, in the old pueblo district.
It is made of metal. Brass, I believe.
Given the fact that what the bird sits upon appears to be an anchor I believe this is a navy button.
The eagle with open wings again points to the possibility that this is an eagle.
There are bumps surrounding the image, which I believe were once stars[or meant to be stars], which again points towards military.

The back is very dirty, so caked that it is a solid rock. Due to fear of ruining it, I have not made any attempt to clean it. I want to know, does anyone know if this is worth anything, or at least have a lead I can go on? I want to get an idea on if this is worth seeking an appraiser or not.

Nice find! Like vp said someone should pipe in soon that might have a button . It's a very nice one and looks military to me.

Upvote 0
From your description of the button's back being thickly encrusted with hard dirt "like solid rock," its back is made of iron made of iron. There were no "coat-size" (about 7/8-inch) actual US Navy buttons had an iron back. Therefore, your button is a civilian-usage imitation of an actual US Navy button, manufactured for use on civilian coats.

By the way, both of the buttons in the photos (from Ebay) posted by vpnavy are civilian-clothing imitation navy buttons. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/361152-civil-war-navy-button.html

Upvote 0
Ah, I take it it's not worth very much then? I keep looking at the back and I do see something that I assumed may have been rust, but the rest of it does look like hard packed dirt. I'm glad to know what it is, though.
I'm going to assume finding an appraiser for this thing would be a waste of money then?

Upvote 0
Yes, paying for an appraisal would be a waste of money, because these civilian-clothing imitation navy buttons can be bought in shiny brand-new condition at sewing supplies stores like JoAnn's Fabrics & Crafts for less than $2.

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much for your help. Even if it is just a coat button from a replica, it's still kinda cool. Now I know it's not really worth anything, I've begun cleaning it. I'll find a less crappy camera and send some pics when I'm done!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back