Old button found

Dirtyjim

Greenie
Jan 6, 2010
Visalia Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
originally posted in "Today's Finds" last Sunday, If you can shed some light on the ID of this button I would appreciate it. its about 3/4" convex and is now a brown color, it is a winged body blowing a long horn. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Hornblower button.JPG
    Hornblower button.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 333
Thanks so much MJ, that gives me a direction, I'm sorry for the pic quality, I used a tripod as well as the macro setting on the camera but you can see what I ended up with. there is nothing on the back other than the loop that caused this button to get lost in the first place.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Dirtyjim said:
Thanks so much MJ, that gives me a direction, I'm sorry for the pic quality, I used a tripod as well as the macro setting on the camera but you can see what I ended up with. there is nothing on the back other than the loop that caused this button to get lost in the first place.
Thanks again.
Dont forget to pause half way, when you push the button, to allow the auto focus lens to focus. Pause briefly while holding steady pressure on the button, then push down all the way. Remain perfectly still of course or use tripod..

Flash off, outdoor lighting is best.

Ill search for you later but it appears to be a civilian fashion design. Need pic of the back as well to ID. We can date your button by the construction and style of the loop amoung other things.

Upvote 0
thanks for the photo tips Big, I'll get a new pic of the face as well as a pick of the back tonight after work using the tips you have provided. I'll post asap after that.

Upvote 0
OK I've got new pics with a scale for size, I hope this helps, thanks again all who have chimed in so far.

Attachments

• unknown button 1.jpg
    unknown button 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 235
  • unknown button back.jpg
    unknown button back.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 229
  • unknown button sideview.jpg
    unknown button sideview.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
Is that lead on the back or tinned iron? Can you test the back with a magnet.

Upvote 0
I searched for the design but couldnt find it..

Do you think the back is lead? It looks like lead.

Upvote 0
Great pics!!!!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
The back does have that color however I can't tell if its lead or not. Maybe this will remain a mystery.
Thanks Kuger, the pics were improved do to Big's photo tips.
Thanks again Big.

Upvote 0
I was thinking TIB (tinned iron back) but its not ferrous.

Does it feel extra heavy? Does it feel any heavier than a 2 piece button of similar size?

Upvote 0
it looks like the hoop was soldered on so there is some lead there.
I don't have any other buttons to compare for weight.

Upvote 0
Dirtyjim said:
thanks for the photo tips Big
Your welcome jim. Its so refreshing to see someone listening to my photo tips and you can see the difference. :thumbsup:

Im sorry I cannot find a match for your button. It appears to be the angel Gabriel like MJ said but I cannot find a match.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back