Old bullet caseings Sant Fe Trail

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that I can make out is a .44 Bull Dog UMC shell casing "Union Metallic Cartridge".

Upvote 0
Oh and I think the flatten shell casings came from a pin fire bullet, and the shell casing in the middle that is above the flat casings looks like the primer doesn’t have a firing pin mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"UMC" is from 1867-1911 (Union Metallic Cartridge co), it joined with Remington in 1912, and formed "REM-UMC", and .44 bulldogs (that kind of cartridge) were first made in the 1880's, and done in the late 1930's, so it has to be from 1880's-1911. The other one is from "US" also known as "United States Cartridge co "US" and had that name from 1869-1920's, than they got purchased, and the name changed, considering that is a .38 S&W, it was made after from 1877-1920's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm amazed how old a lot of my fines have been. Just in the Santa Fe area that I live, has so much history. Not to mention the whole NM. The Anasazi go why back, & were all over.
There are so many places to go. I've been concentrating on the Glorieta area. as my posts have indicated. Being a Newbe to this sight, I find a lot of info and DREAMS are being met. I really appreciate all the input!

In my trade, we always said, Two Heads are better than One.

Hope I can hit my dream one day. Forest Fenn? Hell YA!

Upvote 0
If it makes any difference, the earliest catalog that I could find the UMC .44 Bulldog listed in was the 1884 catalog and the latest that was still using the UMC headstamp is the 1914 Rem-UMC catalog. Although catalog images is not the most accurate way to date headstamps, but it can help with understanding when "old stock" was still being used and when new headstamps/stock was introduced.

Doug

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back