cubcadet 1427.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 85
  • cubcadet 1426.jpg
    cubcadet 1426.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 81
  • cubcadet 1417.jpg
    cubcadet 1417.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 86
1873 Springfield on the trapdoor buttplate?
Thats the only one that this non-expert had any chance at solving. I'm always impressed by the knowledge that the real experts here have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The percussion lock looks to be off an old shotgun to me.

Upvote 0
But the hammer is facing the wrong direction than most.

Attachments

• may2010webcat-14.jpg
    may2010webcat-14.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
The lock is a back action lock but not necessarily from a shotgun, they were quite common on percussion rifles as well.

Upvote 0
The lock is a back action lock but not necessarily from a shotgun, they were quite common on percussion rifles as well.

I agree with you on the that, the butt plate doesn't appear to be from a 1873 Springfield as mine is way different, the bottom picture looks to be a hammer. Looks like several varieties of firearms represented here. Kinda hard to pin each one down to a specific make and model at this point with no stamp markings. But, I too, am not an expert.

Upvote 0
The buttplate is for a trapdoor Springfield, but not the early 1873. Some of the later ones and carbines had the compartment in the stock for storing tools for the rifle, I don't have my references handy so can't be more specific than that right now. The third item is an M10 combo tool from a US military rifle cleaning kit, it served several purposes including cleaning rod handle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found this one on e-bay stating it came off an 1890's model 1888.
2016-01-17 06_13_09-Springfield Trapdoor 1873 - 1884 1888 Buttplate Very RARE! Nice, NR!.png 2016-01-17 06_19_42-Springfield Trapdoor 1873 - 1884 1888 Buttplate Very RARE! Nice, NR!.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After Custer's 1877 defeat, whiich was partially blamed on empty cartridges being stuck in the chamber of the carbines, the army, in all its wisdom, drilled a hole in
the stock that was accessed through the butt plate. It held a screw together rod and a stuck cartridge case remover.

Upvote 0
You are right. Flipped around and that is what this part is for. What kind of double barrel?
Not necessarily a double barrel, it is a back action lock which was used on various fowlers, rifles and shotguns both single and double barrel. The only way to learn any more is if you find any markings on it.

Upvote 0
How big is the part in pics 3-5? Is it hollow? and can you post one mre pic looking straight at the two clips, and get a measurement of the width between them and the length of the hole under them?

Upvote 0
The hammer is from a center fire revolver, and from the look of it a pretty cheaply made one. Any more than that will be near to impossible to say. It could be from any of a hundred or more different pistols....

Upvote 0
Here's a picture of a back action lock on a Tryon rifle, and one off a pistol. For the most part they are a much faster lock than the other type, and seemed to have been used
more after the Civil War.
21.jpg
20.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks close to those. This one has some fancy engravings and some fancy script writing. I wished I could read the writing? I will try harder to make it out. G GOUT ? GUER and an engraving of a woman with her bare legs. I think??

Upvote 0
Looks close to those. This one has some fancy engravings and some fancy script writing. I wished I could read the writing? I will try harder to make it out. G GOUT ? GUER and an engraving of a woman with her bare legs. I think??

It could be be G. (or J.) Goulcher, The Goulcher family were English lock makers who moved to the US, from what I can find they just made locks and lock parts to supply to other gunsmiths.... Here's some info on the family, I'm sure a bit of searching will turn up more info...

Phorum :: Pre-1899 Firearms :: Re: Old G Goulcher muzzle lader DETAILED PICS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back