Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So over a couple of different hunts I have now found 4 of these URO's (Unidentified Round Objects) in a field. Found them in different locations....they were not together. They look old and were pretty deep. I have found other old stuff in this field...an IHP, a V Nickel, a harmonica reed, etc. They gave me a mid-tone signal 09-07 on the Minelab SE Pro (for comparison, a nickel is generally 10-05). I think they are copper, slightly larger than a nickle, and they are VERY thin. I can't see any detail on them so I don't think they are coins but who knows. Maybe old play money? Tokens of some kind? I'm stumped.

Attachments

• URO 1.jpg
    URO 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 181
  • URO 2.jpg
    URO 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 165
  • URO 3.jpg
    URO 3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
My guess is large cents? Hard to tell with out a visible face.

Upvote 0
Not much there to ID. Don't appear to be thick enough even for worn out large cents. Believe the British coppers are thinner, so that may be a better chance at a ID. Will have to say, that would have to be the a strange grouping of coppers to not even have one that you could get at least a bit of a profile off of.

Upvote 0
Do they all measure the same OD? Also, when you work your way around the edges of the pieces (in both directions), is there a sort of ridge on any of them? Often times, if a disc os punched out of a piece of metal, the last point where the metal finally gives way will leave a small protrusion - a single spot that can often only be felt/seen in one direction.

...Is also possible that these did used to be pennies, but somehow got flattened out - maybe someone goofing around? Experimenting with Daddy's tools? Maybe something that someone found or picked up in town and brought back to the farm?

But first, let's see if they all measure the same OD.

Upvote 0
Wow those things look thin, can't help you with the ID sorry. Nice digs though.

Upvote 0
But first, let's see if they all measure the same OD.

What's an OD? Hey, good thought on the flattened theory, because this field is near some railroad tracks. I just weighed them. The each weigh .05 ounces. By comparison wheaties, standard IHP's and fatties range from .09 ounces to .15 ounces, so I guess they are not flattened pennies. They are way too light to be large cents. I don't have anything to measure their size, but they are just slightly bigger around than a nickle....which The Google tells me is 21.21 mm wide.

The mystery deepens.....

Upvote 0
Looks like you have some flat copper disks. So now you know!!

Glad I could help.

Upvote 0
knock out plugs from a metal enclosure

Upvote 0
So someone went back in time and seeded a field with small thin metal disks in order to confuse the crap out of future metal detectorists

Upvote 0
Knockouts would have little "ear"or"ears" on the edge where they where broken off at.....prolly old coins....peace out!

Upvote 0
Old English farthings or half pennies. More likely farthings.

Upvote 0
The fact of the matter is all anyone can do is speculate. No writing, no bust, nothing at all to show any design there is just nothing to go on. So you have round thin copper disks.

It might drive you crazy but it is what it is. I find lots of unknowns. Sometimes they just have to be put aside and let go.

Upvote 0
The fact of the matter is all anyone can do is speculate. No writing, no bust, nothing at all to show any design there is just nothing to go on. So you have round thin copper disks.

It might drive you crazy but it is what it is. I find lots of unknowns. Sometimes they just have to be put aside and let go.

What? And keep this from becoming a 14 page thread of speculation and theories? To miss out on all the back and forth, the endless measuring, the cleaning up of photos, seeing what might be a GE or a II? Why would you deprive us of this?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back