OK field finders? Is this one a good field hunt?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the last one I asked about was called a good field day, but I suspect it was because I found that "cache" of coins. ;)

I'm just trying to figure out where good hunts leave off and the bad ones start. In any case, I am one TIRED old dog! Just walking out there is TOUGH! I am gaining a whole lot more respect for you field hunters! LOL

Anyway, here's the large "take": ;)

IMGA2579.JPG

Is that big long thing what I think it is?

IMGA2580.JPG

What are these canister looking things? Been finding a lot of them here. They seem to be either brass or copper.

IMGA2581.JPG
IMGA2582.JPG
IMGA2583.JPG
IMGA2584.JPG
IMGA2585.JPG
IMGA2586.JPG

Fence post top, I guess. :dontknow:

IMGA2587.JPG
IMGA2588.JPG
IMGA2589.JPG
IMGA2590.JPG
IMGA2591.JPG
IMGA2592.JPG

If I get close to a bad hunt, please let me know so I'll know how to call 'em. ;)

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CaliShawnNokc said:
These are bullets, the lines in the sides are where the brass was holding the bullet. THe long ones are from rifles and the small are from handguns. Round one's might be from an old musket style pistol called a flint lock. Anyway the reason they are flat is because when lead hit's a hard surface it will mushroom, or even flatten. Depends on the type of bullet. if it was a lead tip or core, they will mushroom. Some could be from hunters in the area shooting deer. If you want to know if they are lead, copper or brass...just scratch them and the color will tell you what they are made from. If it's a brass side, it will be bright gold and hard to scratch, then check the top. Bullets can be brass and filled with lead, so checking the top after you find a brass side will tell you if it was a full metal jacket or a lead tip. Cool finds though! HH

Those look like antique fuses to me

Fuses wouldn't have rifling on the sides. Lets not forget that this is a field, not an estate, or property.

I think my poor photo skills have caused a confusion. I still don't know for sure what they are, they appear to be brass with a filling of what I think is lead. I filed a notch and scratch on one. Maybe it'll show in the pics? I kind of figured they might be bullets of some sort but I've never seen brass filled with lead like this. (Don't be surprised, I don't get out much. :) )

Maybe some new pics will help?

IMGA2603.JPGIMGA2604.JPGIMGA2605.JPGIMGA2606.JPGIMGA2607.JPG
IMGA2608.JPGIMGA2609.JPG

This one looks like a regular bullet that flattened when it hit something hard. No brass.

IMGA2610.JPGIMGA2611.JPGIMGA2612.JPGIMGA2613.JPG

Hope they help solve the confusion I started.

Thanks!

HH!

I try to explain with my bad english. These are H-Bullets. They are called like this here. They are used for hunting wild pigs. What you have is the bottom end which is mostly massive. The front half is a hollow tip filled with lead. When they hit the target the front is peeling down to the H- rib in the middle and there they break off leaving serious injury. The massive bottom goes all the way through the animal.

Just had a look to get some pics to explain. Hope it helps. And you had a good day out in the field! The finds become better when you get the feeling for the right spot! :occasion14:

Attachments

• H_Head.jpg
    H_Head.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 94
  • H-Mantel.png
    H-Mantel.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I try to explain with my bad english. These are H-Bullets. They are called like this here. They are used for hunting wild pigs. What you have is the bottom end which is mostly massive. The front half is a hollow tip filled with lead. When they hit the target the front is peeling down to the H- rib in the middle and there they break off leaving serious injury. The massive bottom goes all the way through the animal.

You explain very well, my friend! Much better than I take pictures! :)

Thank you!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back