OK field finders? Is this one a good field hunt?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the last one I asked about was called a good field day, but I suspect it was because I found that "cache" of coins. ;)

I'm just trying to figure out where good hunts leave off and the bad ones start. In any case, I am one TIRED old dog! Just walking out there is TOUGH! I am gaining a whole lot more respect for you field hunters! LOL

Anyway, here's the large "take": ;)

IMGA2579.JPG

Is that big long thing what I think it is?

IMGA2580.JPG

What are these canister looking things? Been finding a lot of them here. They seem to be either brass or copper.

IMGA2581.JPG
IMGA2582.JPG
IMGA2583.JPG
IMGA2584.JPG
IMGA2585.JPG
IMGA2586.JPG

Fence post top, I guess. :dontknow:

IMGA2587.JPG
IMGA2588.JPG
IMGA2589.JPG
IMGA2590.JPG
IMGA2591.JPG
IMGA2592.JPG

If I get close to a bad hunt, please let me know so I'll know how to call 'em. ;)

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you enjoy your hunt? if the answer is yes then in my book it is a good hunt. Nice finds!

I would be happy with a day like that! Iv'e had better but i have also had a lot worse. What do you think the long thing is?

Are the canister things open on one end and threaded? Look like old tire valve caps. steve

I would be happy with a day like that! Iv'e had better but i have also had a lot worse. What do you think the long thing is?
I know next to nothing of relics but could that be a broken off bayonet? :dontknow:

Are the canister things open on one end and threaded? Look like old tire valve caps. steve

No, not valve caps. They seem to either be filled with something or maybe broken off. Maybe some sort of terminal?

IMGA2593.JPG

:dontknow:

Did you enjoy your hunt? if the answer is yes then in my book it is a good hunt. Nice finds!

Oh, that's ALWAYS the answer. For me anyway. I'm just tugging at the field hunters a bit. I've hunted for many, many years but hadn't tried an actual farm field. The broken ground and corn stubble is very challenging. I have a lot more respect for those who do this a lot. I figured it was tougher, just didn't know much so! :)

Yeah, any hunt is a good hunt.

HH!

No, not valve caps. They seem to either be filled with something or maybe broken off. Maybe some sort of terminal?

View attachment 725351

The one on the lower right is a mushroomed copper jacketed rifle bullet the others may be jacketed handgun or rifle bullets with the tip flattened they should be filled with lead. I can see the rifling marks on them in the other pictures clearly fired bullets.

Last edited:
The long thing is probably a broken off tine from an old hay rake. They were called dump rakes. Side delivery rakes spin and put the hay into wind rows, while dump rakes bunch the hay into piles to later have a pushrake take the hay to a stack or a stationary bailer.
Dump rake2-1.jpeg

The long thing is probably a broken off tine from an old hay rake. They were called dump rakes. Side delivery rakes spin and put the hay into wind rows, while dump rakes bunch the hay into piles to later have a pushrake take the hay to a stack or a stationary bailer.

Somehow, I'm just not seeing it as that, dunno why exactly. I know the bend may have come from when it broke off. But, it also looks like a bayonet broken off from it's mount. Were bayonets round and thin like this? Would the length be too short?

In any case, an interesting find.

Thanks for your help!

HH!

The longer item looks to be a tine from a pitch fork.

The longer item looks to be a tine from a pitch fork.

It's not a bayonet, or any part of a gun, if it's too small to be off a hay rake, then it's no doubt what Hendu says, off a pitch fork. You're in a farm field, expect to find farm stuff. The more I look at it, the more I think Hendu is right. Either a pitch fork, manure fork, silage fork, it's size is more in line with that. When the hay was pushed to the stationary baler, men with forks pitched the hay into it. Loose hay was fed to stock out of a stack or a wagon, using a pitchfork. All sorts of reasons for it to be there. Hay fork hayfork.jpg Pitch fork pitchfork.jpg Silage fork silage fork.jpg

It's not a bayonet, or any part of a gun, if it's too small to be off a hay rake, then it's no doubt what Hendu says, off a pitch fork. You're in a farm field, expect to find farm stuff. The more I look at it, the more I think Hendu is right. Either a pitch fork, manure fork, silage fork, it's size is more in line with that. When the hay was pushed to the stationary baler, men with forks pitched the hay into it. Loose hay was fed to stock out of a stack or a wagon, using a pitchfork. All sorts of reasons for it to be there. Hay fork, Pitch fork, Silage fork......bayonet prong ;)

BUT, I've always said, I don't know nothing! I defer to the experts. ;)

Thanks for setting me straight. (now if I can just remember til the next time. :) )

HH!

The one on the lower right is a mushroomed copper jacketed rifle bullet the others may be jacketed handgun or rifle bullets with the tip flattened they should be filled with lead. I can see the rifling marks on them in the other pictures clearly fired bullets.

Yeah they could be filled with lead. I didn't know they made bullets with a flat front. Learn something every day! :)

IMGA2580.JPG

Last edited:
Your doin alrite WHAD! Field huntin is a lil harder than most think. If ur in corn stubs usin a smaller coil def helps. Even bean stubs r a pain sumtimes because u have to stay so high up it cuts into your depth. Here in IND we have more fields than woods in most places so that all we can hunt. Btw, whats the bottom of the piece ur thinkin is a fence post look like? If it has a place for a thread it more than likely is a bell off of a old phone. Stick with it bud, you'll come across a GOOD one sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.lol. HH

how many hours was this...I don't see any flat buttons...I might not find coins in the first few hours on a field..but if Im getting buttons....I know old coins will turn up once I find the hot areas...that being said...I would try a different section of field...or another field all together...do you have any rivers nearby- a field by a river is always a good bet....

how many hours was this...I don't see any flat buttons...I might not find coins in the first few hours on a field..but if Im getting buttons....I know old coins will turn up once I find the hot areas...that being said...I would try a different section of field...or another field all together...do you have any rivers nearby- a field by a river is always a good bet....

This was about 4.5 hours but I sort of wasted about 2. Because the ground is so wet in the low areas I've been staying to the higher ground. I worked my way up to the top of a small hill only to discover that the area was mostly fill dirt. Evidently, part of this field was bulldozed into existence. So, I moved back to the area where I found the old British button and musketball, (posted in my last hunt). I suspect that this area is where a cellar hole was filled in as there is a slight rise in the low area. This area seems to have a lot of ammo lying around. I don't know much of ammo either. I think a lot is modern. (pics 3-7 )

Hope that helps figure it out.

Thanks!
HH!

Your doin alrite WHAD! Field huntin is a lil harder than most think. If ur in corn stubs usin a smaller coil def helps. Even bean stubs r a pain sumtimes because u have to stay so high up it cuts into your depth. Here in IND we have more fields than woods in most places so that all we can hunt. Btw, whats the bottom of the piece ur thinkin is a fence post look like? If it has a place for a thread it more than likely is a bell off of a old phone. Stick with it bud, you'll come across a GOOD one sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.lol. HH

That's what I'm finding! I'm already cutting my depth because the corn stubble has been cut down and some has been flattened but most still sticks up about 3-6 inches. I'm able to get down to the ground for a lot but when the stubble is in the way, I just do a surface to 3 in. scan from about 6 inches in the air. LOL
Best I can do with my 8.5 x 11 DD. (all I have :dontknow: )

That bell piece? That is EXACTLY what that is! I don't know what kind of metal they make these out of but this is pretty solid and came out looking as you see. I KNEW I'd seen this piece before but my feeble brain wouldn't remember until you said!

Thanks!

HH!

Hey Wahidfind - any day out medal detecting is better than a good day at work - congrats on the finds - lood like a good hunt to me - keep up the good work and enjoy

View attachment 725351

These are bullets, the lines in the sides are where the brass was holding the bullet. THe long ones are from rifles and the small are from handguns. Round one's might be from an old musket style pistol called a flint lock. Anyway the reason they are flat is because when lead hit's a hard surface it will mushroom, or even flatten. Depends on the type of bullet. if it was a lead tip or core, they will mushroom. Some could be from hunters in the area shooting deer. If you want to know if they are lead, copper or brass...just scratch them and the color will tell you what they are made from. If it's a brass side, it will be bright gold and hard to scratch, then check the top. Bullets can be brass and filled with lead, so checking the top after you find a brass side will tell you if it was a full metal jacket or a lead tip. Cool finds though! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back