✅ SOLVED Ok Detectives -- This involves a Old Painting and a Signature.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend's grandmother was placed in a home recently and after all the wanted stuff was removed from the house it basically was a free for all as far as the remaining items. Me being a history buff and a collector of any OLD I scoured the basement... Among hundreds of 19th century tools was a corner with a bunch of old picture frames. Some still containg pictures.. One caught my eye. It's late/mid 1800's I'm guessing (maybe older) due to the square nails use on the frame and the frame style. The name of it is "Lighthouse of Dover" (Which was in German) So i assume the artist was German. What I am trying to deciper is the signature. Pics are not the greatest, but I did adjust the levels and contrast of the sig. Thanks!!

frame_zps339b6ae2.jpg

sig_zps5725b7c5.jpg

photo3_zpsc20ea0d7.jpg

photo_zpsd4623a0b.jpg

Sorry I can't help you, I have noticed some people posting similar "What Is it" asking for an ID on a signature of painting and I dont think many if any get solved on here, im sure there is a Art Forum or something in that nature if you can't find your answer on here. Just wanted too let you know! good luck

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So come to find out this thing is a unknown H Hiller and a early one they think.. cha-ching!

Can't wait to see what the appraised value is.

Upvote 0
I want to see pictures of all the old tools in the basement.......snag any good ones (?).....what else was in the house?

Upvote 0
Nah, didn't get any pics of the tools, but I picked a few things out.. Got a nice 24" Union Tool Co. Plane from about 1900. A couple nice old ball peen hammers, A real old voltmeter that was made with mahogany (real beautiful) and a nice late 1800's James Howarth meat cleaver.

Upvote 0
What ever you do DON"T get rid of the FRAME!!!

Some of those old frames can be worth as much and sometimes even more that the artwork depending on the artist.

Also the artwork can sometimes be worth much more with the original frame.

Also don't discount the other frames you found that in that cellar!!!

Upvote 0
What ever you do DON"T get rid of the FRAME!!!

Some of those old frames can be worth as much and sometimes even more that the artwork depending on the artist.

Also the artwork can sometimes be worth much more with the original frame.

Also don't discount the other frames you found that in that cellar!!!
I agree that you hit it big with that piece. Original frame and and uncataloged work can appraise at top dollar. not to mention that the image is a strong one that has a wide range of interested potential buyers (beach, sea, sailing, fishing, lighthouse, and others) nice work on the save. and please do made sure not to clean the painting or frame in any way.

Upvote 0
I agree guys. I'm actually an antique and ephemera collector, so I know the routine on that stuff for sure! The frame is a bit damaged, but I think the missing pieces might still be in the basement, I'm going to scrounge around and see if I can find the pieces. I work for a private University that has a Museum/Art gallery that is well know in the East. One of the European Art Curators is looking at the painting on Tuesday, so wish me luck! :-) - Happy hunting!!!

Upvote 0
I agree guys. I'm actually an antique and ephemera collector, so I know the routine on that stuff for sure! The frame is a bit damaged, but I think the missing pieces might still be in the basement, I'm going to scrounge around and see if I can find the pieces. I work for a private University that has a Museum/Art gallery that is well know in the East. One of the European Art Curators is looking at the painting on Tuesday, so wish me luck! :-) - Happy hunting!!!

Those missing pieces can be easily replicated, I used to hang out and help my friend restore valuable frames many years ago, his father was an artwork restorer for many nationally known museums and collectors, he was as well a renown artist in his own right, his son's job in the restoration was the frames, I learned a lot just hanging out with my friend on restoring the frames along with some knowledge of restoration on the lesser valuable artwork his father didn't have time to handle which he would pass to his son to do.

We used Vel-Mix which is a dental plaster for replicating the missing pieces, most all of the "carved" areas of most frames are appliques made of plaster, with some being carved after applying plaster, with a rare seldom seen wood carved frame, what ever the case the process was the same for restoration, most appliques are repetitious around the frame at least twice to many times, we would carefully remove one of the appliques matching a missing piece and then would use modeling clay to create a mold to cast as many pieces that we needed to use in restoring the frame, the rest was just a matter of a little hand carving to get the newly created piece to fit at it's base and then a process of attaching it involved gluing/drilling and pin nailing it to the frame, then a little more Vel-Mix as filler where needed, a little sanding and the final step before the finishing was coating all repairs with a glue mixture to seal all the plaster, the following refinishing/painting process which is done to the entire frame does take some knowledge and artistic talent to make the frame look like it did when it was new and at the same time have the look of the original patina of many years.

Vel-mix - Bing

Vel-Mix? Classic Die Stone - 33 lb Carton - Kerr Mfg Company

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Send me a PM if you need any advice/other tips on restoring the frame.

Many times the mold can be made of the needed applique without having to remove it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back