Official overstreet guide

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 15th addition of the over street guide and I really like it. The only downside I have seen is the black and white pages. Do they make one with colored pages? I feel like you miss out on so much of the material type and flaking by not being able to see it in color, especially the really nice materials like agate, etc.

Upvote 3
When Overstreet first came out they were loaded with fakes. When I went to flint knap-ins knappers would boast about having their new made points pictured in Overstreet and a few other publications. They may be better now but I have no confidence in his books at all.

I like mine a lot, it’s been mentioned here before the newest one is much more credible than previous editions. Been looking for a new edition every so often it’s good to know one’s coming soon. Im partial to cracking open a book to I’d a find over poking around the web anyway.

Steve Cooper, the CSASI editor, also is editing the Overstreet book, and the Who's Who. He has made good use of the skills in publications since becoming CSAS editor.

He sometimes makes mistakes, as we all do. I have said it before, more than a few times, it's virtually impossible to determine reproductions from authentic relics 100% of the time from photographs.

Even visual inspections in person are difficult without magnification to accurately see authentic mineralization. I have had relics I found pointed out by a few collectors as reproductions. Of course, I pointed out they did not use magnification and were not wearing their glasses. How they can determine authentic relic like that, I don't know. Maybe they are mistics.

I have a number of Overstreet books, but only have bought one of them, way back in the day. The others I have picked up here and there over the years.

Got one at the local library for $5.00 when it was "withdrawn" from circulation a few years ago. In fact, I have gotten a number of AMAZING relic books "withdrawn" from circulation over the years. Keep an eye out for these.

Like all publications, the Overstreet book its meant as a guide, not a hard and fast rule for an accurate value figure on a relic in my view.

When I submitted relics to Lar Hothem the first time, he requested a blurb on each relic included in this was the collectors value on the relic. So this, in my view was not an objective accurate value. Since many collectors included an intrinsic value on their relics.

Too many think an eBay asking price or a printed figure in a Hotem or Overstreet book is the value to ask for rock, even if the rock is not authentic. Nuts.

I like mine more to identify finds, and get a little information on a type. I can’t comment on value because I have no intention of selling mine. But I would suspect that the prices in the books are on the high end
Yes they are higher in the books. Plus most are perfect examples which we really don’t find in the outside. Once in a while someone can find a G-10 but not often.

a post on FB from Jim Bennett about 15th edition:

"I wonder how many people know that David Bogle who established and funded the Museum of Native American history in Bentonville Arkansas as a free Public Museum assisted John McCurdy of Overstreet on the 15, and Mr. Bogle funded the correcting of the 15 edition to see it a better more accurate book for collectors. He hired his curator Matt Rowe of the museum who everyone knows as the total Guru of typology in this field to go through each and every type in there for verification and accuracy. Working with Steven Cooper who then rewrote the book based on that and then had me spend months upon months going over each picture and price on every page to correct the accuracy on that. Mr. Ulhman is correct that there were many errors accumulated in previous Editions on pricing and typology as it went through many different editors and advisors before Mr. Cooper whom I hold in very high esteem. But the edition that is pictured here and being discussed is not one of them. It is very possible that some of my prices for this book, working off photos may have some inconsistencies. But I can assure you the typology of Matt Rowe is as solid as you will ever see. Anyone that doesn't believe that, should ask around about who Matt Rowe was to this Hobby. I'd be very careful challenging his name in the future if I'm around. This was the last project I got to work with Matt on before he passed, so I do take it very personal."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back