Odds and ends (farming?)

NewAtThis

Greenie
Jan 20, 2018
Stokesdale, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I've found a few things in my yard recently. Nearby was a 1908-patent plow point, so I assume these are farming implements of that era. The little strap seems to be leather. I appreciate any help you can provide. I know they aren't worth much, but I love the history of the items I find on my land. Thank you so much.

IMG_20201030_222259135.jpgIMG_20201030_222322284.jpgIMG_20201030_222235316.jpgIMG_20201030_222226195.jpg

Hard to say exactly what the pieces are, but I’m pretty sure the last piece is from a single tree or a double tree.

Upvote 0
Your first item is a garden hoe with the business end missing.

Upvote 0
2nd picture looks like a corner from a trunk or suitcase and your 3rd picture looks like part from an old rooftop antennae

Upvote 0
#2- the leather with eyelets is the remains of an old shoe
#3- is a joist brace download.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You all are amazing. Thank you! The garden hoe, the single/double tree, and the shoe part are all pretty easily confirmed with a Google image search. The other piece, suggested here to be part of an antenna or a joist brace, is still eluding me. I need to keep searching for that one.

But the highlight for me here is the shoe piece. I'm excited about that one. It's a personal artifact of someone who was here a long time ago. I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I can even see the lines where the stitching was on either side of the eyelets. And since it was a leather shoe, there might be more of it that the detector didn't pick up. I might dig around there a bit and see if I can unearth some other pieces.

And the single/double tree piece. It shouldn't surprise me that horses were used on this land, but it's great to see evidence of it.

Thank you so much, all of you! This is great. I'm going back out there today. Maybe I'll bring back a few more treasures.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back