Goonie76

Greenie
May 31, 2015
Panama, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I was hunting around an old foundation (found plat map from 1845) that was a stone foundation. The sides had caved into the basement, so sadly found a lot of broken porcelain, jugs, & glass but did find one intact 1920s olive jar (yay). But I also found these odd pieces. They appear to be lead, but unsure. They are very light, which makes me believe lead. Having a noob detector, it doesn't give me much information on metal type, but did let off a high pitch. They are 6 inches by 1 inch. Smooth except at the seams. Two had different tops to them with a screw hole (one still had a screw in it). And then there are 2 that have a ribbed siding, made of same material. One has a screw in the top.
In the same spill I found two pieces that are not metal, that the pieces fit into perfectly. Possibly a mold. It is very delicate, similar consistancy of coal. Breaks very easy!
Really baffled and have no idea where or what to search on line for! Anyone have an idea?

20150922_232738.jpg20150922_232745.jpg20150922_232759.jpg20150922_232819.jpg20150922_232831.jpg20150922_232851.jpg

Last edited:
Lead is heavy not light and if broken apart would be shiny.Although they do look like sash weights4211944495_a9de38773f.jpg they aren't lead, very strange.I do believe the mold was for sash weights but something else was poured in the sash mold.

Upvote 0
Cool thanks guys! Will do some research and try to confirm if that is indeed what they are.
They were found in the basement or Atleast the giant pit that once was the basement buried under lots and lots of rocks.
When I said lead, I was thinking more along the lines of like bullet lead. But they aren't very squishy or bendable. :)
But again, big thanks!!

Upvote 0
Cool thanks guys! Will do some research and try to confirm if that is indeed what they are.
They were found in the basement or Atleast the giant pit that once was the basement buried under lots and lots of rocks.
When I said lead, I was thinking more along the lines of like bullet lead. But they aren't very squishy or bendable. :)
But again, big thanks!!

Ant nailed it I believe, that one is a spot on match mine was a guess as I had seen sash weights before but Ant's is spot on as carbon would be light and easy to break, think of pencil lead that is carbon, see if they mark like a pencil, pretty sure it is solved. Nice I.D. Ant.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back