Odd Confederate Flag..Any Help.

apbroker

Greenie
Sep 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired a Paramount Flag Co. San Francisco 2' X 3' Confederate flag. It just strikes me odd that a California based company would make a confederate flag. I can find zero information on it besides that the latest it was probably made was in the 1930's, it definitely has some age. Any information on the flag would be appreciated. I don't know if it was a custom thing or a movie prop? Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 91
I have no idea about the flag but I'm glad you can save it.
My wife works part time at a Cemetery here that was established in 1849. It has a Confederate section where close to 1000 soldiers are buried. Mostly in mass, unmarked graves. They would fly an American flag and a Confederate flag on Memorial Day. Both these flags are 4 foot by 6 foot, but know they have stopped doing it because of the PC police. (Sad)
These flags were made in the early 1900s and I was able to get them both only after agreeing not to fly them. I have both folded correctly, and in display cases.
This post is not intended to be political. My point is if you find an old Confederate flag, you better save it while you can.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have no idea about the flag but I'm glad you can save it.
My wife works part time at a Cemetery here that was established in 1849. It has a Confederate section where close to 1000 soldiers are buried. Mostly in mass, unmarked graves. They would fly an American flag and a Confederate flag on Memorial Day. Both these flags are 4 foot by 6 foot, but know they have stopped doing it because of the PC police. (Sad)
These flags were made in the early 1900s and I was able to get them both only after agreeing not to fly them. I have both folded correctly, and in display cases.
This post is not intended to be political. My point is if you find an old Confederate flag, you better save it while you can.

yea defiantly save it. i would fly it on my property they can't tell me what to do

Upvote 0
yea defiantly save it. i would fly it on my property they can't tell me what to do
You are right, but the superintendent ask that I not because she wasn't supposed to get rid of them, so I'll respect her wishes.

Upvote 0
It's a shame so few control many. Fly what flag you wish, it's free speech in my opinion.

Upvote 0
i wanted to get me a Confederate flag but i don't see them anymore such a shame

Upvote 0
gold boy , you can buy any size flag you want in Bruce , Ms ,,,,, don't know the name of the business , may have to google it

Upvote 0
Nice save!

I think it is too small for a movie prop. Could be from the 100th commemorations of the Civil War back in the early 60's...

Except for the years immediately following the CW, when it was illegal to fly Confederate flags, there has always been a market for them. Until recently, many communities in the south recognized Lee-Jackson Day and/or Confederate Memorial Day and flew lots of Confederate flags. Some still do, but those numbers are dwindling fast.

Also remember there was a HUGE nostalgia for the CW that began in the 1880's. Lots of reunions and parades and encampments. It lasted until the early 20th C. when the last veterans were dying off. Plenty of Confederate flags flew then as well - although I don't think yours is that old.

I march with a Confederate infantry reenactment company and we still commemorate Confederate Memorial Day each spring by going to old cemeteries across our county to read the names of veterans from both sides, fire a salute, and blow taps. See our salute here:

http://www.13thva.com/videos

DCMatt
13th Virginia Infantry, Co. I
Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i wanted to get me a Confederate flag but i don't see them anymore such a shame

Come to the Walton (Delaware County) Fair in NY next August. Lots of them available there last year. Flags, hats, buckles, t-shirts, etc.

Upvote 0
Maggie Valley, NC, never seen so many confederate flags flying high in front of stores that were selling them. Plus a motorcycle rally was going on in town and many motorcycles had the American flag or the Confederate flag attached to the bikes.

Upvote 0
I believe your flag more than likely dates to the 1960's or 70's at the oldest. I know mine does. I don't know that their "flags of the world" series was around before that time frame if even then. It could have been from one of their retail stores that were around in the 80's. What leads you to believe it was probably made in the 1930's at the latest? I don't see anything unusual about a Confederate flag made in California years ago. This country was semi normal once upon a time.

Also, it seems that Google itself is against selling Confederate flags via the internet as well as Amazon, eBay and any other national company. Isn't it a grand world we live in?

ps- if the last part is too politikal for you people, how about just editing it instead of deleting it?

Upvote 0
I need to look but I have some full size Confederate flags folded in a chest. We used them for school pictures and the Saddie Hawkins dance. Both black and white wore the flag on school jackets. No big thang at all. Still not.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the Pennsylvania State Flag is the Confederate Jack. I don't think I would recognize the official one - but 25% of the cars with PA plates I see hereabouts sport a Jack decal or plate frame.

Darned if I can figure out why.

Upvote 0
I live in the people’s republic of Massachusetts but have several ancestors I can trace to confederate inlistments in Missouri and North Carolina, that being said I have a 4x8 first confederate national flag bumper sticker on my truck and none of the PC dopes have any idea what it is. I had one guy ask me if I was Puerto Rican, in my opinion the PC police can all take a flying ****** at a rolling doughnut. Sorry, that was my rant for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back