Ny first find, A thing.

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First find, a thing.

Hi. Today was my first go out with the my metal detector, it was used in woodland near an ancient settlement (but not actually in it) that was used by farmers when the town was originally being set up.

I know this probably isn't the find of the century, but I'm curious as to exactly what it is, I thought it was a peg at first, then I thought maybe is a tool used farmers or possibly by shale minors?

It was found about half a foot under the ground, it's about a foot long, as you can see it has to half moon on either side, and at the bottom it is slightly flattened with indentations measured out. It's slightly bent, not sure if it's suppose to be that way. As you can see as well, it's very, very rusted. I'm guessing it is a tool.

Any help would be welcomed, cheers.

IMG_20151207_031715.jpgtn.jpgtn1.jpgtn2.jpgtn3.jpgtn31.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TreaureNet :hello: and congratulations on your first find :headbang:

I think it is a skewer - maybe a BBQ skewer?
A handle will have been held steady by the 2 'half moons'.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Never even crossed my mind.

I should mention where I'm located, we have things called "bings", back when paraffin was big it's kinda what made the Scottish town (Broxburn) expand, it's abandoned and looks like giant red martian hills now. Which is why I thought it was maybe a tool or something, like maybe someone on their way to work dropped/ditched it, if that makes sense.

The bit that looks like the handle is really small though, I have small hands and they almost overlap the flat head when gripping it as if to hammer it, maybe it a skewer or something.

(it was found the field to the right, about half a mile from from the bing)

BroxburnRowsImage1.gif

Anyway, thanks for the help mate.

Edit: Here's a photo of both ends if that helps

sharpend3.jpgsharpend4.jpg

end1.jpgend2.jpgsharpend.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back