NW PA...Found a Dandy on Saturday...type?

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
After driving past it dozens of times, I was thrilled to see 'my fav field' finally being turned on Saturday. One of these days I will post the best pieces this place has produced. Though I have found artifacts throughout the field, one area no larger than 100 ft. x 100 ft. has produced the nicest finds in my collection (quality points, celts, pendents, drills and pottery). It isn't a spot where you will find LOTS every trip, but usually something to make your heart jump 1-2 times a year. That's enough for me.

Anyhow, because it was freshly plowed, very little material was visible. Come on rain! But on my 2nd pass through, this guy was half exposed. Wish I had taken an in situ, but well...you know how that goes sometimes. I'm lucky I didn't create a spark pulling it out of the ground.

Seeking opinions on type. Note I believe this to be a Late Woodland to Missipian era site (Levannas and Madisons are my most common type from there). I'm leaning toward Jacks Reef...though perhaps a Kirk Corner Notch (different era though).

Please let me know your thoughts. Traveling for work, can post better pics on Friday as needed.

Attachments

• Point 6-11-11.jpg
    Point 6-11-11.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 567
  • Tray 6-11-11.jpg
    Tray 6-11-11.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 565
Upvote 0
Nice find Hutch! that point is a sharpened down corner notch.

Hutch - Nice find. In the absence of context I would say that's a Kirk. It looks like an archaic corner notch point to me. If there's not an archaic component to the site, though, that basically rules Kirk out. Good find either way.

Not the greatest side view, but it will give you an idea. IMO, it is thin.

Attachments

• Point 6-11-11 Side.jpg
    Point 6-11-11 Side.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 474
sorry guys close but i think you have one of each, Hutch!! yours is a kirk corner notch, the notches look like lost lake punched notches, while AU!! your point has the rounder more open notches of a jacks reek corner notch. at least thats the way it looks to me. Terry

Jack's Reef, while technically a Woodland point, are often considered true arrowheads. The point pictured is clearly not an arrowhead.

Hutch, is the base ground on this point? How about inside the notches? Is so then it's an Archaic type and therefor not a Jacks Reef. In my opinion it looks to have punch style notching which is an Archaic trait and would make it an early Archaic Corner Notch type. It's always hard to tell from pictures, but I just don't see Jacks Reef when I look at that Point.

SRV said:
Hutch, is the base ground on this point? How about inside the notches? Is so then it's an Archaic type and therefor not a Jacks Reef. In my opinion it looks to have punch style notching which is an Archaic trait and would make it an early Archaic Corner Notch type. It's always hard to tell from pictures, but I just don't see Jacks Reef when I look at that Point.
e

I agree. It looks like a Kirk corner notch. Putting it in the 9500BP range..................................GTP

Thanks guys. I've landed on the same conclusion. I'm about to sneak out for a couple of hours...heading to the same spot. We got some rain this morning. Will hopefully be posting some goodies later today!

Just one rough one to show from my lunch time walk...a scraper/knife I believe. Didn't get as much rain as I'd hoped.

Attachments

• Rough Knife 6-17-11.jpg
    Rough Knife 6-17-11.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 223
another view

Attachments

• Rough Knife 2 6-17-11.jpg
    Rough Knife 2 6-17-11.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Rough Knife 2 6-17-11.jpg
    Rough Knife 2 6-17-11.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 215