Now this is weird.....

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Out detecting an old area today, and I got a good signal, sounded like silver. I pulled this up, overall it's 3/4" long. It looks like what may be a diamond or a crystal embedded in it, and a smaller one not visible in this scan. Scanners scan at 100 d.p.i., and I boosted mine up to 600 d.p.i. for this pic. Put a red arrow to the stone, probably can't tell to much from this. Can't tell if it was melted (like a ring) or a natural formation.

Attachments

• aaweird.jpg
    aaweird.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 582
Here's another scan, I tilted it up so it can be seen better. The stone looks rainbow-ish now.

Attachments

• aaaweird.jpg
    aaaweird.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 577
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
scotto! Thats pretty darn cool...

Now, is the other material silver... lead... ??

Do the stones look natural or cut?

It's not lead, I can't bend it and it's not very big. I need to magnify it more to see if it's natural.

Upvote 0
COOL!!!

Could be a metorite or a clinker out of an old smelter! Any history of an old iron funace (smelter) where you found it? Joe

Attachments

• Joe\'s Banner.jpg
    Joe\'s Banner.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 565
  • Joe\'s Banner.jpg
    Joe\'s Banner.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0
There was an old blacksmith shop almost exactly where I found it. An old wagon trail cut through the property next door and my property on the way to the mountains.

Upvote 0
I stuck it under a microscope at low power, and put the aperature of my digital camera up to the eyepiece and snapped a pic. Looks weird, but kinda cool too.

Attachments

• aamicroweird.JPG
    aamicroweird.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0
Looks like Lightning struck some sort of jewelry or trinket, have similar pieces around hear some where amongst my clutter, but I bet its a Lightning strike ! ;D

Upvote 0
I do a little blacksmithing and it looks like a clinker from a blacksmith's forge. It would feel light for it's size. I can't imagine what the embedded object would be though. Glass, I would think, would have a melted appearance.

Upvote 0
Calcite, fluorite or Glass would be my guess for that "mini stone" in the large one. look if it can scratch copper and Quartz to do a beggining.

The large one looks like Hematite to me..
Make a streak test on a ceramic piece ('without color' like porcelain)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back