Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a private permission today that used to have a school on the property. It has been hunted many times by many people, including me with my previous two detectors. But today I took the Deus II out to see if it could turn something up, and it did not disappoint.

There's a UMC New Club "star primer" shotshell headstamp (1901-1910), most of a rusty wrench, a few nails, a little iron loop (maybe a rein guide?), some bits of foil, a "jeweled" arrow, two rings, and a coin.

IMG_3702.jpeg

The very first find of the day was the little gold ring (stood up around a metal bit at bottom center of photo). Unfortunately it's just gold plated, but hey, I'll take it. It's very small, either for a child or a very petite adult. It's just a plain band, no markings inside or out. The silver ring is smashed flat, and I don't trust myself to open it without breaking it. It had a high VDI (89) and it looks like silver. Flowers and hearts on it, which is funny since I found it on Valentine's Day. I didn't do much more than wipe the mud off of it. Perhaps I'll clean it more and look for markings later.

IMG_3704.jpeg

IMG_3705.jpeg

I have no clue what the little "arrow" is. It has "jewels" that I assume are just glass. It was broken when I found it, with the two pieces just a few inches apart.

IMG_3703.jpeg

But the odd find of the day is this guy. It is the oldest coin I have ever found, with a date of 1876. It's a "2 Ore" coin from Norway. How a coin from Norway wound up in the middle of nowhere in Missouri is anyone's guess. Too bad coins can't talk.

IMG_3700.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

But whatever way it got there, today it got a new home.

We had six inches of snow two days ago, and today it's 60 and sunny. Crazy weather, but it was great to be outside.

Upvote 36
That looks like a fun outing, congrats!
You can easily straighten out the ring (or any nonferrous item) by annealing it. As smashed as that is you may have to anneal it a few times (as you bend it straight the metal stiffens up again).

Robert,
That is a GREAT looking old coin. Very odd too.
About a month ago I dug an 1850’s 5-Centimes in a backyard and another coin from Iraq or Iran. WTH?
Well done Sir, well done. 👍
MM

I hunted a private permission today that used to have a school on the property. It has been hunted many times by many people, including me with my previous two detectors. But today I took the Deus II out to see if it could turn something up, and it did not disappoint.

There's a UMC New Club "star primer" shotshell headstamp (1901-1910), most of a rusty wrench, a few nails, a little iron loop (maybe a rein guide?), some bits of foil, a "jeweled" arrow, two rings, and a coin.

View attachment 2131433

The very first find of the day was the little gold ring (stood up around a metal bit at bottom center of photo). Unfortunately it's just gold plated, but hey, I'll take it. It's very small, either for a child or a very petite adult. It's just a plain band, no markings inside or out. The silver ring is smashed flat, and I don't trust myself to open it without breaking it. It had a high VDI (89) and it looks like silver. Flowers and hearts on it, which is funny since I found it on Valentine's Day. I didn't do much more than wipe the mud off of it. Perhaps I'll clean it more and look for markings later.

View attachment 2131435
View attachment 2131436

I have no clue what the little "arrow" is. It has "jewels" that I assume are just glass. It was broken when I found it, with the two pieces just a few inches apart.

View attachment 2131434

But the odd find of the day is this guy. It is the oldest coin I have ever found, with a date of 1876. It's a "2 Ore" coin from Norway. How a coin from Norway wound up in the middle of nowhere in Missouri is anyone's guess. Too bad coins can't talk.

View attachment 2131432
View attachment 2131431

We had six inches of snow two days ago, and today it's 60 and sunny. Crazy weather, but it was great to be outside.
Congratulations!! Sweet finds!

Nice finds! Congratulations! I once found 2 Greek coins in a small park near my house. Of course, we do have a university here and the park is located within a short walking distance from it. Doesn't take much imagination to realize we had a student from Greece at the university!

View attachment 2131433

View attachment 2131435
View attachment 2131436

View attachment 2131434

View attachment 2131432
View attachment 2131431

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice selection of recoveries Robert.
One has to wonder if the 2 ORE 21 mm was just accepted as currency back in day, or if it was tried to be passed off as a 2 Cent 23 mm or even a Half Cent 23.5 mm.

Thanks for all the replies! I will have to wait for another warm day to go back out there and see what else is there. We just got half an inch of sleet here this morning, with snow forecast for this afternoon. Crazy weather!

The Norwegian coin is a great find for sure - congrats on finding your oldest coin ever !

I got myself a set of Andre's Pencils and tried them out of this coin. The front was decent to start with so not a huge difference there, but the back had some hard-crusted dirt on it. I thought it was just really worn on that side, but turns out it's actually in great shape. Here's the before (left) and after (right) of both sides. I might be able to get a bit more, but I didn't want to be too aggressive about it.

2oreFrontBeforeAfter.jpg

2oreBackBeforeAfter.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back