deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got out for a few hours to play with our new toys but, it was just to cold. There was snow laying, ground was frozen solid and the wind was howling.
The boy and I started off at our latest site, the Colonial site we found all the big copper and flat buttons. Digging holes was all but impossible with the ground frozen solid. The boy managed to dig another small flat button and I found a pewter flat button.
We only stayed about an hour then headed over to our Bed and Breakfast where we found all the CW lead last year. The ground over there was just as bad if not worse. I did manage to find a round ball there that we had to chop out of the ground.lol
No pic of the boy's small flat button.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 7
So you got a scarce decorated 18th C pewter button, but count it as not much?

Yeah this winter has everyone going stir crazy!, about a month we should be good to go!

Nice finds

I have to agree with Crusader...you have to think quality, not quantity. The temp here just dropped 2/10 of a degree...it is now -4.7 F. Cjon is just gonna go even MORE stir crazy, looks like[emoji3]

The temp here just dropped 2/10 of a degree...it is now -4.7 F. Cjon is just gonna go even MORE stir crazy, looks like[emoji3]
91bf6f2cacfe11e3ac1912192735815a_8.jpg

It's a trade off...we give up hunting for a few months for the chance to find something really, really good when we can hunt again[emoji4]

You and the boy are a couple of troopers! Nice button. GL&HH.

That's hardcore hunting with the ground frozen solid! All in all some cool finds!

It might be a little hardcore. Lol We're just trying to figure out these new detectors we got so when it gets nice out we'll be ready.

So you got a scarce decorated 18th C pewter button, but count it as not much?

I figured it was old being pewter. Lol We thought we'd find a few more finds with the better metal detectors though.

Any ideas on this button? Would it have been a common button back in that time period?

Here's the kids flat button from yesterday. Knowing I'm wanting a seated dime of my own he just had to post his seated dime he got last year with the flat button for size comparison. Should I put him in time out.. Lol
His flat button from yesterday is the smallest we've found from here so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 85
I figured it was old being pewter. Lol We thought we'd find a few more finds with the better metal detectors though.

Any ideas on this button? Would it have been a common button back in that time period?

Its a typical civvy pewter button buts what lifts it a little from the plain types is the decor. Not that rare at the time but a scarce survivor.

CRUSADER

Thank You Sir!!

more awesome than you realized, pretty cool find

It's a trade off...we give up hunting for a few months for the chance to find something really, really good when we can hunt again[emoji4]

Out here in washington state our snowpack is dismal at best. Down in the "low" country where I live, I've only seen frost a few times this year. Been able to hunt any day I have felt like it. BUT, we have nowhere near the history of you east coasters. Trade off for sure!

deershed, with the ground and weather conditions you an your boy did a great job. Not sure how old your son is but it's good to hear that there are parents out there that are still spending quality time with their kids instead of just letting them do what they want.

txhawkeye2534- Thanks!! The kid is 19, we have a blast detecting together. Last year he kicked my butt with good finds. This year so far I'm kicking his butt. lol
It's killing us both right now with snow and frozen ground. We both got new AT Pros and can't get out with them.

Hit it when the ground thaws, low, slow, from all different directions. You have to learn your machine, they aren't magic the finds have to be there first. AT Pro is a great machine, the thaw will moisten the soil up and maybe light up a few finds. Keep pounding that spot, over and over.

Put that kid in a time out for making us jelly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back