no metal detecting in NY State parks??? Im bummed out now!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
no metal detecting in NY State parks??? I'm bummed out now!!

I just called the Palisades Interstate Park Commission because there is a state park near me that has an old camp in it and also old foundations. Now since it is a state park I figured I better do the right thing and see if metal detecting is allowed. I was told that I can only metal detect at the beach areas in the state parks and I was told which beaches that would be. Naturally this area I am interested in does not have a public beach. It is more of hiking trails and horseback riding trails. I went geocaching in here (before I started MD'ing) and this place is huge. We only saw one group of people horseback riding. We did see a couple of foundations there....one geocache was hidden in one....and now I would like to revisit it with the detector.

Should I chance it and bring the detector and just plead ignorance if caught? I don't even know if there is a ranger station or someone who patrols this area. Has anyone else faced this frustration and if so, what have you done about it. I really want to detect in the old campsite and the surrounding foundations but don;t want to have to pay a fine and get the detector taken from me.

Thanks in advance for the input on my dilemma.

The Funkman

Upvote 0
Re: no metal detecting in NY State parks??? I'm bummed out now!!

Don't do it! But I know where you're coming from. Been there, done that. State Parks always have a ranger station close enough to know that you are there. I was stopped once, nicely was told that only the sand area's we could dig. We could buy a permit for $10 do hit the sand but then it was only good after Labor Day til Memorial Day.
But the northern states freeze up come late December With all the other detectorists around they'll be coming out of the wood work the day after Labor Day at day break beating you there to get the goods. So either you're with them or you're not.

But I wouldn't chance it, don't loose your equipment and get arrested. I'm sure that'll be no fun and expensive for you.

Chris

Re: no metal detecting in NY State parks??? I'm bummed out now!!

thanks for the reply dig. I'm now contacting the police department for my city to see about laws against it in the city parks.

Thanks again.

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back