019.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 467
Hey G, I'm thinking it's the lid to a Victorian potpourri pomander container. The decorative holes were in the top to let out the fragrance, and in the Victorian times, they needed ALL the good smelling stuff they could find! :laughing7:

Here's a page with several different kinds.
http://www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-Brass-potpourri-1.html

Interesting find, Breezie

Upvote 0
I know what it is. (not potpouri) ;D That was one of my better IDs you can search back.

Top to an ink container.

Attachments

• ink well caps.jpg
    ink well caps.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 460
  • ink well caps.jpg
    ink well caps.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I know what it is. (not potpouri) ;D That was one of my better IDs you can search back.

Top to an ink container.
Good idea on the potpouri Breezie :icon_thumleft:
Bigcy, where did you find that image?

Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Top to an ink container.
Good idea on the potpouri Breezie :icon_thumleft:
Bigcy, where did you find that image?
Yes its a very good idea on the potpouri guess. The image came from an old TN thread that now seems to be lost. http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/topic,32295.0.html

I saved the image and mojjax just found the old text:

In July, at a old 1700's house/museum submerged and I found these heavy cast brass pieces. Not knowing what they were until today, I found out after cleaning they were ink well caps.
They are about 1 -1/2" across and you can still see some dryed ink between the decorative round knobs on the outside. On the top of the left one you can see three divots used as a small reservoir.
Also you can still see the scoring of the pen marks all throughout the top.
Earthworks....

It looks like Bradyboy suggested ink well cap first. Other members have found them. I also found it being sold as an ink cap on Worthepedia but now I cannot find the link. Of course you or Breezie can challenge the old ID, mistakes are sometimes made and copied by others, but I believe this ID to be correct. :)

Attachments

• ink well cap round.JPG
    ink well cap round.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 377
  • ink well cap round.JPG
    ink well cap round.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
One problem with the ink well cap thing,, If it is not covered the ink drys out.
Well I guess its not positive until we find a picture of the cap sitting on the ink container. :-\ The circular marks that are on some of them are unexplained. Is Earthworks still a member?

Attachments

• ink well cap mojjax.jpg
    ink well cap mojjax.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
Earthworks is an active member and I sent him a PM. Maybe he can shed some light on this.

Upvote 0
Maybe those circular marks, like the three divots are little reservoirs or more probably for "pulling" the excess ink off the end of the nib.

Upvote 0
This post is becoming interesting.

Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
This post is becoming interesting.
Yes, I remember the earlier finds so I'm keen to see if this takes us down another track.

Mike

Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
One problem with the ink well cap thing,, If it is not covered the ink drys out.
Maybe that explains the circular marks. Maybe the ink bottle or something had to be placed on top. :dontknow:

Mojjax, take a magnifier to see if yours has writing on the bottom.

Attachments

• ink well cap mojjax paint.JPG
    ink well cap mojjax paint.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
The only other container this small I could find that looked similar was this stamp box. But I dont know what the purpose of a lid like this would be for stamps... unless it just a fancy way of seeing whats underneath. :dontknow:

stamp box.jpg

Attachments

• stamp box.jpg
    stamp box.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0
I have had many inkwells and never seen one with a top like this. A cover would not fit well over them. Do an image search on Google.

I tried hair receiver but don't see anything in that category that might fit.

I can't remember the name of the item that contained cotton or some other material for putting perfume and other stuff, in and wore to cover up the smell of people. ( folks did not take baths in the past for a time.)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back