Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I walked the creek bed today looking for arrowheads, fossils, or just neat rocks. We found a bunch of things, mostly just neat rocks, but there were a few I could use some help with an ID.

Here's a decent crinoid stem fragment -- these are common around here, but generally much smaller and less distinct. This is probably a quarter inch diameter and two inches long.

IMG_1085.jpg

Then we also found some of what we used to call "worm rocks" when we were kids. Not sure if that's what they really are. The second one you can actually see some segments or ribs or something.
_IMG_1088.jpg _IMG_1089.jpg

Then there's this thing. It's a thin piece of something resembling shale. Nothing on the back side, but on the front is this dark area, like it had something sandwiched on this side. No idea what, though.
_IMG_1086.jpg

And last but certainly not least, this thing. It's hard to capture in a photo, but it looks like at least three different soft, frondly, feathery plants or something like that. If anyone know what this is, we'd sure love to know.
_IMG_1087.jpg
Thanks!

I have been searching, but can't find a good match for that swirly fossil. There are some crinoid heads that almost look like it, but the one we found seems softer and finer, more like a plant or something.

Last edited:
My wife and I walked the creek bed today looking for arrowheads, fossils, or just neat rocks. We found a bunch of things, mostly just neat rocks, but there were a few I could use some help with an ID.

Here's a decent crinoid stem fragment -- these are common around here, but generally much smaller and less distinct. This is probably a quarter inch diameter and two inches long.

View attachment 2090627

Then we also found some of what we used to call "worm rocks" when we were kids. Not sure if that's what they really are. The second one you can actually see some segments or ribs or something.
View attachment 2090625 View attachment 2090626

Then there's this thing. It's a thin piece of something resembling shale. Nothing on the back side, but on the front is this dark area, like it had something sandwiched on this side. No idea what, though.
View attachment 2090623

And last but certainly not least, this thing. It's hard to capture in a photo, but it looks like at least three different soft, frondly, feathery plants or something like that. If anyone know what this is, we'd sure love to know.
View attachment 2090624
Thanks!
Very cool! I have a geologist/Rock hound friend that’s pretty good with the IDs. I’ll show it to him and let you know what he thinks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back