DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a middle school not too far away and hit the wood chips today after church and the honeydo list got a little smaller. I did pretty good in clad but no oldies, school too new for that. 57 coins or $6.90 in all. I got 20 quarters, 13 dimes, 9 nickels and 15 pennies. I guess the nicest thing I found was the little key shaped pendant. It looks like sterling but no hallmark...Guess not???...I got a cheap ring, another cheap pendant, an earring, broken key, one of those magnetic oval shaped thingy's, a wad cutter bullet I guess and several buttons. It was pretty good for such a small area and I'm going back to check the rest of the yard. You all have a great week and find the BIGGUN.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 798
  • IMG_2915.JPG
    IMG_2915.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 794
  • IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_2920.JPG
    IMG_2920.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 780
Upvote 0
Cool finds, congrats and best of luck to you buddy. I have never seen a middle school around here with a playground and woodchips... how cool!

Smiles!
BDoo

Yep, that's a nice variety. You did good on the clad.

HH ;)
RR

the oval mag shape "thingy" hehehehehehe ;D is a cow mag. pill. THey feed em to old betsy and let it work through her system collecting all the iron on it's way out. Did you happen to see a patty where you dug it up?? :D just kiddin, nice finds. ;)

;D Love love love it ALL ;D

I am so tickled by the variety of finds everyone gets at the schools!! ;D Some may not be old old but I love the stories they seem to tell!

Good amount of clad. . charming finds!! Congrats ;D

Bogart :D

Danglangley,

nice finds I really like the bullets. I found 2 of those magnetic bullets in a snow pile once. They're very powerful and will hold anything of the refrigerator.

Rumblebelly

Nice pile!
The wad cutter is cool!

Congrats!

Ridley

Bunch'a good stuff there, Dang! There is a park near here and when I first started detecting I would visit there a couple of times a month and find all kinds of change. Then I gave the little detecting spill at the local scouts meeting.... :P Now when I go there I might get a couple of dollars of change every now and then. :-\ Bet they're having fun cleaning that park out though. :)

Congrats on your finds.....

Nana :)

I like your Quarter to Penny ratio. More Quarters than Pennies - Sweet! ;D ;D

I like the old coins but I sure miss the days of coming home with 20 Quarters.

Bob

Rumblebelly said:
Danglangley,

nice finds I really like the bullets. I found 2 of those magnetic bullets in a snow pile once. They're very powerful and will hold anything of the refrigerator.

Rumblebelly

Nice set of coins and finds, DL! I can't recall what they call those magnetic things, maybe "Clicker Magnets." We purchased a set at a science store while vacationing last summer. My son drove us all crazy clicking them in the car on our long drive home. They are kind of fun to play with though. :) Keep digging!

HH

I just started playing around at the schools. Here in Oregon, most schools have wood chips too. I seem to find the coins about 2 inches down in the dirt rather than in the chips. Do you have this too???? Some have been just in the chips but most have been in the dirt below the chips. I get signals deep but not always something there. Sometimes I feel bad digging such a deep hole. It seems to me that they should be closer to the top???? Just learning. Any ideas??? thanks

I think the nicest thing you found was>>>the $6.90 in clad!<Good work!

didijim said:
I just started playing around at the schools. Here in Oregon, most schools have wood chips too. I seem to find the coins about 2 inches down in the dirt rather than in the chips. Do you have this too???? Some have been just in the chips but most have been in the dirt below the chips. I get signals deep but not always something there. Sometimes I feel bad digging such a deep hole. It seems to me that they should be closer to the top???? Just learning. Any ideas??? thanks
It's just a guess but I believe the reason the coins are deeper is because the playground equipment must be older than when they first started putting wood chips down for the kids. It sure is fun digging in the chips. Have a good one

didijim said:

The reason the coins are a little deeper is simple. Two reasons, the coins work there way down through the wood chip and into the soil from pressure. The weather and people stepping on the wood chip will do it. Also remember some parks add a layer of wood chip each season, the wood chip decomposes and that also causes the coins to be beneath the layer of wood chip.

Nice finds! It's great when you find more quarters than anything else. Like some of the others have said - sometimes you have to dig a huge hole to retrieve a coin...and sometimes you come up empty. One playground I hunt has a lining under the chips...I get a signal and dig down to the lining and the signal is still there...I'm thinking they put the lining over a bunch of coins. I wouldn't feel right cutting their lining :o Anyway, excellent clad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back