Next equipment purchase is?

e404sme

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After purchasing "the basics" which includes couple of sizes of pans, glass vials to put the gold in, 1/4" and 1/8" classifiers, a sucker bottle, tweezers, hand shovel, shovel, and a couple 5 gallon buckets, what would you suggest as the next purchase? I live in Minnesota and spend some time in Wisconsin panning flour gold. Thanks! e404sme

Upvote 0
Some sort of sluice. Welcome to the Net. Every one has their favorite. Sometimes the sluice depends on how and where is will be used. I have a Keene A52 for where I know I will have good water volume and flow. I have a short two ft by 10" wide that works good in good to medium flow and voluume and an EZ sluiec that is 2"x6" that works pretty good in any water conditions. I also have a goldbuddy mini highbanker that can be used creekside or as a recirculating unit that runs off a battery. Loads of info in here. Cruise around in here and you will learn alot an will be able to get almost anything answered.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Thanks for your comments...I will start looking for a sluice! e404sme

hello and welcome to the forum I too am in minnesota and go to wisconsin. we can't sluice in mn but in wisconsin we can. and from what I've been told by others is a california sluice is the way to go for the flour gold we have in the area plus you don't need alot of waterflow to run it like my royal mfg. backpack sluice (learned that the hard way) and the cali is only $55! but in minnesota if you want to process alot of material and stay within the laws look at the pyramid pro pan.

My next purchase is the Gold Cube! its supposed to arrive today but if not, itll be here Monday! ive owned several dredges,drywashers,highbankers, sluices and im running out of room to store this stuff for the winter.but the Gold Cube will get a lot of use this winter cleaning many buckets of cons from Colorado and Wyoming.

well after posting this, i let the dog out to do her thing and theres this box on my front pourch. HOT DOG,its here already! ive assembled it and im really impressed with the quality that Mike and Red put into this! im a happy camper without even trying it out! thatll come tommorrow! BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!

If I can find more on the Crazy Crusher, I may consider buying it. (such as honest reviews outside the company website). TTC

TerryC said:
If I can find more on the Crazy Crusher, I may consider buying it. (such as honest reviews outside the company website). TTC

Hey there. I just started panning a new location that has a ton of quartz on it. My first shovel uncovered a softball size piece of quartz. Another member suggested I break down the quartz chunks and pan those pieces. He also said you might be able to give some advice on a homemade rock crusher? Do you often come across rocks you feel the need to break down? In my location there are quartz chunks everywhere. Is quartz pretty tough? Haven't attempted trying to break one apart yet. Thanks Terry!

Hey there. I just started panning a new location that has a ton of quartz on it. My first shovel uncovered a softball size piece of quartz. Another member suggested I break down the quartz chunks and pan those pieces. He also said you might be able to give some advice on a homemade rock crusher? Do you often come across rocks you feel the need to break down? In my location there are quartz chunks everywhere. Is quartz pretty tough? Haven't attempted trying to break one apart yet. Thanks Terry!

I have done a video on how to make a simple yet effective hand crusher (hand crusher if not done right). I do not have a reference to it but it is the one that GoodGuy refers to in a recent post. Quartz is a WIMP when it comes to my crusher and others! Easy. "Rotten" quartz..... vuggy (containing many holes) seems to me is most likely to carry gold. I found a piece of quartz on the Y-not claim that was purple and vuggy. About the size of a cantelope. I crushed it to a number 8 screen and found gold. Not much but readily visible. Right now, as we speak, I have about a dozen pieces of quartz that will "crash in the crusher" tomorrow! Collected today near Judy's place in Murphys, CA. Now, I clean my brand new 2013 Jeep almost daily yet allow muddy pieces of ROCK to roll around in the back. Go figure! I hope I have answered your questions. (got it... ) or type in TerryCieszki when you are on the yuotube sight for other videos of mine. I'm turning into a regular Frances Ford Copula! TTC

TerryC said:
I have done a video on how to make a simple yet effective hand crusher (hand crusher if not done right). I do not have a reference to it but it is the one that GoodGuy refers to in a recent post. Quartz is a WIMP when it comes to my crusher and others! Easy. "Rotten" quartz..... vuggy (containing many holes) seems to me is most likely to carry gold. I found a piece of quartz on the Y-not claim that was purple and vuggy. About the size of a cantelope. I crushed it to a number 8 screen and found gold. Not much but readily visible. Right now, as we speak, I have about a dozen pieces of quartz that will "crash in the crusher" tomorrow! Collected today near Judy's place in Murphys, CA. Now, I clean my brand new 2013 Jeep almost daily yet allow muddy pieces of ROCK to roll around in the back. Go figure! I hope I have answered your questions. (got it... YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTnSzoa1EmE ) or type in TerryCieszki when you are on the yuotube sight for other videos of mine. I'm turning into a regular Frances Ford Copula! TTC

Too funny. Hopefully one day I will have the same success and begin my career in film production! Thanks for the help. That was excellent information. Off the Home Depot I go to make my rock crusher for this weekend! I'll try and post some pics to give you an idea about the rocks I'm working with. Thanks again Terry :-)

Last edited:
TerryC:

One question. I saw your video on the recirculator sluice and (what looks like 3 inch PVC elbows) going from one bucket to the next obviously is to slowly clean the water prior to pumping back to the hopper. You said it siphons the water from each tank to the next. Does that just happen with the water flow or do you initially need to help it along? Also. What hp or gpm is your pump? Thanks so much. Love the set up. Will probably try to copy!

Last edited:
TerryC:

One question. I saw your video on the recirculator sluice and (what looks like 3 inch PVC elbows) going from one bucket to the next obviously is to slowly clean the water prior to pumping back to the hopper. You said it siphons the water from each tank to the next. Does that just happen with the water flow or do you initially need to help it along? Also. What hp or gpm is your pump? Thanks so much. Love the set up. Will probably try to copy!
Oh Russau and Frost, you guys are just trying to make this old fart feel better! Tnx. Frost, there is a preliminary step to get the siphon action of those big (4") elbows... first, if you use smaller elbows, the motor will empty the last tub and suck air before the water is replenished! To get the elbows to suck "up and over", you need to make two "covers" for the elbow. Cut a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to a circle just larger than the 4" opening(s). Glue onto that circle some neoprene rubber, or similar. Hold the elbow underwater and "capture" the water in the elbow using the circles/rubber. Then, move the elbow to the two tubs it will bridge. It is difficult for one person to make this move alone unless you add some sort of cordage so you can keep both circles on the elbow with one hand and use the other hand to hold onto the elbow. BUT WAIT! There's a better (in my mind) way to get water from one tub to the other. TimC put me onto this. Go get a 2" galvanized flue pipe NOT yet snapped together. 20" piece will be more than enough. Cross cut 2 pieces that are 5" long. Cut 1" slots along one edge that will all be bent in the same direction.... outward from the radius of the pipe. Cut a place for this pipe at the top edge of the tub. Use the top lip of the tub as the center, cut a 2" radius hole down and around. You now have a cutout at the rim of the tub that will take the flue pipe. The cutout will be 2" deep and 4" wide. Fashion a rubber gasket for this cutout and temp glue it to the inside of the tub, along the edge of the cutout. Use alot of silicone sealant along the gasket. Place the 5" pipe (now only 4" long because you bent 1" tabs outward) into the cutout and pop-rivet it to the tub. You now have a tub with a "spout" to pour water from one tub to the other. Put the last tub, where the water is drawn, on the ground. The middle one, about 3" higher then the last one, where the sluice runs in, about 6" high. This set up is more labor-intensive than the elbows but well worth it later. Long post but glad to help. (my two typing fingers are blistered!) TTC

TerryC:

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking the gravity method might work a little better. Like u said, a little more labor intensive but it will eliminate having to prime those suckers each time. What's the hp on your pump? Sorry about your sprained fingers too! :-)

TerryC:

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking the gravity method might work a little better. Like u said, a little more labor intensive but it will eliminate having to prime those suckers each time. What's the hp on your pump? Sorry about your sprained fingers too! :-)
The pump is the 2 1/2 hp that comes with the Jobe highbanker unit (in the video). It works just fine. TTC

highbanker in the desert???it depends on your water source! the desert sands have a lot og clay(ie) material in it. if your recycleing the water, it will load up with clay and itll eventually plug up your pump.

highbanker in the desert???it depends on your water source! the desert sands have a lot og clay(ie) material in it. if your recycleing the water, it will load up with clay and itll eventually plug up your pump.
Hey Capt. The areas that TimC and I hunt have clay dirt..... about 4 feet down. Ample gold before you get that deep. If you go down into the clay, be sure to break up the clods in a soaking bucket before filling the highbanker. Clay is an evil we must contend with but not insurmountable. When doing the recirculating at the dig, I take in a 250 gallon bottle, usually filled to about 100 gallons. Answer you questions? TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back