✅ SOLVED Newspaper Image Plate?

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this piece of brass at my new permission. Just looked like a simple piece brass shim or something. After I cleaned it, I noticed an image of a person on the front side. Doesn't appear to be any mark on the reverse. Maybe an image plate for newspaper printing? It has the ridge on the right side with a small hole.

The item measures 1.47 inch wide and 1.75 inch tall. It still could be cleaned better. I'm not sure I want to scrub it any more for fear of losing the image.

P1001206_WM.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
I found this piece of brass at my new permission. Just looked like a simple piece brass shim or something. After I cleaned it, I noticed an image of a person on the front side. Doesn't appear to be any mark on the reverse. Maybe an image plate for newspaper printing? It has the ridge on the right side with a small hole.

The item measures 1.47 inch wide and 1.75 inch tall. It still could be cleaned better. I'm not sure I want to scrub it any more for fear of losing the image.

View attachment 2119526

Thanks for looking...
Is it flat on the other side?
Cool recovery
At first glance I thought maybe a photo-but the recessed edge with the hole is different.

Upvote 2
Is it flat on the other side?
Cool recovery
At first glance I thought maybe a photo-but the recessed edge with the hole is different.
Yes, flat on both sides. When I first noticed the image this morning, I thought maybe some type of modern tintype image. But as I was looking closer in the magnifying glass and when I took the photo, I noticed the dots that make up the image. So, I thought it had to be for newsprint.

Upvote 3
I have never seen anything like that! Really cool. Picture has a 1940s look to it.
I'd love to date it and try to find the newspaper article it was used for.

Upvote 2
I confirmed yesterday that its copper, not brass. Felt too heavy to be copper, but it is pretty thick. Found some info. They used copper or aluminum plates. Haven't been able to date it. Maybe I never will. Guess I'll mark this one solved. Thanks to all!

Upvote 2
When I was in high school in the early 1960's I worked in the local small-town newspaper office. It had a linotype machine for forming the plates for printing the paper. I was in charge of pouring the lead mats for advertisements and photos. The plate of yours looks just like the mats for printing the pictures and ads that I worked with.

Upvote 2
I'd love to date it and try to find the newspaper article it was used for.
Yes dating and/or finding the article would add context. Maybe show it to some old folks in your area and you might get some leads. Good luck and remember my motto "Every artifact has a story if we're willing to listen." Of course figuring out the story can be a real challenge.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back