Newbie in New Jersey

RUSHFAN47

Tenderfoot
Jun 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys and gals,
My name is Ron (RJ is the nick) from the Northern section of Bergen County,NJ. I'd like to get into MD'ing ( haven't bought one yet). From what I've been
reading though,it's kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm. Let me briefly explain. I've read about the "forbidden places" to MD, "good" places to MD, permits,
permission to dig, what you can and cannot keep for yourself, types of MD's, and a small litany of can and cannots. I'm sssooooo confused!!
Any info would be most appreciated!
I'm 66,retired,( along with my wife) and two grown sons with families of their own (and one due in November) that will make four grandkids! Hobbies are sports
autographs,sports-card collecting, buying on eBay,and reading about the Old West.
Again,any help or suggestions will always be appreciated!
Thanks,
RJ
P.S. Anyone from my area would be a plus!

Welcome to TN RJ!

Looks like you have started in the right direction and the more questions the better imo. I think some good info would be to decide what a persons environment, where they live and plan to detect will offer for possible finds. Heavy woods? beaches? farming pastures? etc. Do you plan on traveling far to detect or sticking close to home? Once one decide's on the possible area's that they may hunt then it is going to somewhat dictate what you are going to possibly find. Now, just about every tot lot, school and local park will have their same general coin, small jewerly, toy stuff.

If that is all a person will be hunting then they should able to select a solid machine that will perform fine for that. I would suggest a Fisher F2/Tek Euro pro/BH platium starter set-up for someone just looking to start with some basic hunting. Not that expensive ($200 range), lightweight, headphones and basic tools.

As one moves up in higher cost dectectors, they will usually become more focused on what the machine can do for them depending on where and what their hunting. Most peeps aren't going to use a Minelab Excaliber to hunt for cival war relics deep in the woods, as someone that is hunting for gold rings in the saltwater surf wouldn't use a non-waterproof single freq. detector. They are just not designed for those purposes.

As far as local area detecting rules, it's different everywhere, so there is never a across-the-board answer for that. One just has to take the time to do some research about the laws and ordinances where they plan on detecting. Most of it isn't that hard to find and it's just part of doing your DD when you take up this hobby imo. I think alot of what one can do and what one can't do seems to get blown out of purportion and it seems like everyone knows the answer....Jeesh!
Let's not try making it harder than it is...common sense and good judgement will go pretty far in this hobby imo.

If there is a law, statue, ordinance that says one can't do it or it's private property then don't do it....If if doesn't then it's game on....There is alot of info on the forum here about the right and wrong ways to go about getting permission to detect private property so I will leave that as homework.8-)

I hope you will decide to try the hobby and don't hesitate to ask questions as there are alot of years of experience here at TN and they will go out of their way to help. Good luck and HH!

Todd

Last edited:
Welcome to TreasureNet!

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard RJ! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Welcome aboard!! :)
attachment.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back