Newbie alert- Magnetic rock

glatisant

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2004
Hi folks,

I'm new to all this stuff but I have a question. All I seem to be find is magnetic rocks like the one in the images attached. I only have a basic detector but even with the discrimination at max it picks up nothing but the rocks in the pictures.

One has a magnet attached and the other is a side shot of the rock I found this evening.

Thans,

Glat.

If it helps, I'm in Central Scotland.

Attachments

• SANY0034.JPG
    SANY0034.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 417
  • SANY0039.JPG
    SANY0039.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 426
my Guess Either Iron Ore Or Meteorite.

Welcome By the way !
Jeff

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

At first sight, it does not look like a meteorite but you never know I guess.

If you go to the home page here, and go way down the menu, there is a forum called "Meteorites" and there's a ton of great info and links in there to help you determine if it is a space rock.

Good luck, cool rock!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0
Being your from Scotland, I don't know
what's around there. Any chance it's Melted
Iron Slag ?

Upvote 0
Thanks folks. I'll check out the meteorite page as I've found loads of magnetic rocks. They're all different but this is the biggest I've ever found, for info it's four inches long and weighs a kilo.

Glat

Upvote 0
Hi from down south. Welcome to Tnet. I think your like it here.

Firstly I don't think its a meteorite. Some sort of mineralisation/iron ore. I find a few sandstone versions but not sure if they are magnetic.

If I were you I would clear them & not put your discmination too high (I keep my at below iron) as you will easily miss a hammered. I like to clear everything from my better sites.

Good luck & I look forward to seeing what else you find.

Upvote 0
save all of them you may be on to something?ive looked at some space rocks on line.because i found some in fl. of all places and so many its hard to tell but maybe you can take it to a rock hound and let them look?and if it is ,you wont have to go back and try and find all those rocks you toss back on the ground . if they are that maybe all you want to find is rocks?

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome. If that is meteorite then it could be collectible. If it is just mineralized rock then you may possibly need a different detector that could do some 'ground balancing' for you. Sometimes that will help eliminate such items but not always. Keep us posted on what you find out 8)

Upvote 0
My guess (pictures aren't high enough definition to be sure) is that you have pseudo morphed magnetite crystals in what appears to be gneiss or granite. We find similar rocks in Michigan.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back