New V3i and some questions

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a slightly used V3i (off of ebay) and got it about about two weeks ago. It was in great condition and looked like it had only been used for a few hours or less. :)

I have been itching to use it since I got it, but it has either been too cold or something else has always come up.
I finally used it today in the yard to start to get a feel for the machine. (I also have an old Eagle II SL that has been great) I only found junk :(; pulltabs, 30-06 bullet casing, and a brass valve. Tons of junk in my yard and this makes the machine VERY noisy. Way more than the old Eagle II SL. This is gonna take some learning. BTW, I started off in the C&J mode.

One thing that jumped out at me from reading the manual and using the machine today was the colors for the Signagraph display - showing accepted items as green and rejected as red. In addition the frequencies are displayed as red, green and blue. My problem is this, I'm partially colorblind and it can be hard for me to tell the difference between red and green on the display. Is there a way to change these colors? something like black, blue, yellow etc.

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

To my knowledge there is no way to change the colors in the screen. Contact White's about this. I do well with out a screen myself.

The Red, Blue, & Green lines in the graph represent the frequencies that is hitting the hardest. Using the graph you can sometimes determine the size and composition of the target. I don't use the graph, I hunt by sound and VDI#. Depending on where I am detecting I don't even use the VDI. Deep targets or targets with halos (oxidation from the metal into the soil around it) will give you some strange VDI's that really don't match what you would nomally associate with that type of target. Also, make sure that VCO is turned "ON" or your pinpointing will be off. Further, the factory programs are not very good. They will need to be adjusted for you soil conditions and the type of hunting you are doing. The white's site has a lot of V3/V3i programs that you can download and punch into your V3i. In the menu system there are several color scheme that can be changed. However, they will not change the RBG in the graphs. Your V3i is not a "turn-on and Go" machine. There is a learning curve, going to the White's site can shorten it with all of the info available there. The best way is to find somebody who has one near you and have them show you how all of the menus and settings work. I wish you the best of luck with your new machine. HH...KYBuzzBox

amasters said:
Is there a way to change these colors? something like black, blue, yellow etc.

Yes, the display can be setup for any colors you like.

To activate the color menus you must go to the expert menu and to then configure menu.

select color theme and put that on setup custom. This will activate the color menus. If you press menu and zoom this bring up information on the color themes and such.

hint: to turn off the Six block menu so you only get the expert menu when Menu tab is pushed go to expert menu/configure/menu and check expert only.

Sorry this is short but thought i would at least mention it as I don't have much time to type on this tonight. Hopefully this will get you started into the right direction.

rcsnake

Wy would any buddy want any other detector other than a White's......

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task? You need to use the right tool to do the job well. Don't limit yourself to always using a hammer. But I admire your enthusiasm. :coffee2:

Thanks Rcsnake for the info on changing the colors on the display graph. I need to read the manual again. :read2:

amasters said:
I recently purchased a slightly used V3i (off of ebay) and got it about about two weeks ago. It was in great condition and looked like it had only been used for a few hours or less. :)

I have been itching to use it since I got it, but it has either been too cold or something else has always come up.
I finally used it today in the yard to start to get a feel for the machine. (I also have an old Eagle II SL that has been great) I only found junk :(; pulltabs, 30-06 bullet casing, and a brass valve. Tons of junk in my yard and this makes the machine VERY noisy. Way more than the old Eagle II SL. This is gonna take some learning. BTW, I started off in the C&J mode.

One thing that jumped out at me from reading the manual and using the machine today was the colors for the Signagraph display - showing accepted items as green and rejected as red. In addition the frequencies are displayed as red, green and blue. My problem is this, I'm partially colorblind and it can be hard for me to tell the difference between red and green on the display. Is there a way to change these colors? something like black, blue, yellow etc.

First thing you need to do is make sure the TX BOOST IS OFF AND BACK THE GAIN BACK. These come hot out of the box and chatter like a group of women at bingo..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back