New (To Me) Site...Very Target Friendly!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting a particular site for years and have about decided that it's pretty much hunted out. I've found lots of great targets there including a 1784 1 reale and a 1674 French 4 Sol. Lots of great relics from this site as well including an intact musket trigger guard, some early navy buttons and lots and lots of coppers. This particular site is a hay field that is owned by a local politician. There is another field right across the lane that is owned by a farmer who lives across the street. Today I went to seek permission and was granted that right away. The farmer did tell me that there have been people detecting the site for years but did point me to an early French cellar hole at the opposite end of the field. I was a little concerned when he told me it had been hunted for years but it had not been hunted by me so in my eyes it was a brand new site!

Parked the car on the side of the lane and started walking in. I got about 8 feet from the car when I got a nice deep heavy iron signal. I figured it would be a farm implement...nope...4 POUND CANNONBALL!! This was the very first target dug on this site! This is my 7th cannonball and my 2nd 4 pounder. I kept swinging and about 10 feet from the cannonball I got another deep heavy iron signal. TRADE AXE! I was dumbfounded! My first 2 targets of a new (hunted) site were a cannonball and a trade axe! I only had about 20 minutes to detect but in that 20 minutes I got a period spoon, a wooden handled knife and a sweet little breech buckle!

Needless to say I'll be back there tomorrow morning as soon as the sun is shining...maybe a little before!

Attachments

• IMG-20130427-00274.jpg
    IMG-20130427-00274.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG-20130427-00275.jpg
    IMG-20130427-00275.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-20130427-00281.jpg
    IMG-20130427-00281.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG-20130427-00282.jpg
    IMG-20130427-00282.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 11
Well, I got my silver...not what I would have expected but it's silver! I'll post it later today...got to mow the lawn and patch the barn roof...

Lawn? Are you sure we're only 4-5 hours away from each other? I probably won't have to do that for another 3 weeks.

You are off to a great start so far this year romeo...remember you found your first trade axe with me and now you have several....cannonballs are always welcome too... needless to say, dig all the targets.... I agree with your statement, it's a new site as it has never been detected by you!! Great recoveries....

Oh yes, I remember that first trade axe fondly...still my favorite. This one is #5.

You are off to a great start so far this year romeo...remember you found your first trade axe with me and now you have several....cannonballs are always welcome too... needless to say, dig all the targets.... I agree with your statement, it's a new site as it has never been detected by you!! Great recoveries....

Second day on this site and only real target was this silver button. Still plenty more hunting here to go but it's obvious that it has been hunted before.

Attachments

• IMG-20130428-00283.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00283.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 64
Probably true...this field hasn't been plowed in at least 20 years so there will certainly be some deep targets.

I too would gladly hunt a previously hunted awesome site than a fair new site anytime, the best deep targets are waiting for you![/QUOTE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back