New Spot to Dig!

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
OK soo my grandpa owns an excavating and demolition business and he was hired by the town that I live in to dredge the local creek that runs through our town because of flooding and what not, and there were big mounds of junk and debri that piled up in the middle of the water and block the flow of the creek. So his company came through and removed all of the debri and moved it onto his farmland grandpas farmland. My town has been around since the 1860's(ish)! And to make a long story short, I was going for a run earlier today and i happened to see glass all over the piles (there are 18 dump truck piles!!!) I couldnt believe what I saw there were complete bottles (and a WHOLE lot of pieces of bottles) sticking in and laying just on top of the piles. I walked around 3 of them and came a way with 7 complete bottles (an ink well, 1 medicine bottle, 1 bottle with liquid inside still, 2 old cork style beer bottles, 1 millk colored small jar for makeup i think, and a blue jar that looks kinda like an old vick's jar). I almost had a complete brown whiskey bottle(???) and a complete green gallon jug with a handle. Too say the least im going back next time with some tools (which tools, I dont know :P). This might take a long long time, but oh well hahaha ;D.
PAyoungin

when u get a chance lets see some pics, hopefully u got a great spot, sounds like it

I hate to Break it to you, But your area was actually being settled
Before the French & indian war in the 1750's.

It's first name was Swallowtown. (Schwallum Schtettle)

then Barrstown (Bear Schtettle)

Not sure when it was changed again, but most likely 1830.

Although it was laid out in 1830, the first Hotel (Within the town limits) was built there in 1771, where the Eagle Hotel Stood.

Your Pap can most likely tell you where that was. (I don't think the Hotel is still standing)

Sounds like you'll be Busy.

Happy Hunting.
Jeff

PA young,

sounds like you got some work.

Hope you pull up a bunch.

Photos sure would be nice ;)

have a good un.........

that sounds like an incredible opportunity! hurry down there before someone else gets the same idea!

Jeff, Im pretty dissapointed about that >:(. I guess I can live with it though, the 1700's arent that bad ;D

I dont think i will have to worry about anyone stealing my spot or my bottles, except for my mom maybe lol.]
PAyoungin

PAyoungin said:
Jeff, Im pretty dissapointed about that >:(. I guess I can live with it though, the 1700's arent that bad ;D

I dont think i will have to worry about anyone stealing my spot or my bottles, except for my mom maybe lol.]
PAyoungin

I just got home From Sweet arrow, I guess you know it's Drained again till Feburary.
That wasn't you on the Far side by the Breast Hunting today was it ?

Way to go PAyoungin! I remember you asking a few things a week or two back about bottle digging and thrift stores and such.I'm glad you've found somewhere to hunt where you don't have to worry about anyone else,'cept your mom maybe! :o Good deal and lets see if you can get some photos on here,so we can help identify some of your finds, eh? Be on the lookout for indian relics too while your searching those dredge piles.Never know what gramps may have dug out of that creekbed! Keep us posted would ya? Merry christmas to you! ;D :) PS- looks like you might end up with some free stuff to sell on ebay!

I was just at some of the piles for about 2 hours and I worked my way around a set of five of them. I dug about a foot and a half into them all. I found 4 more (another medicine bottle with nothing on it, what I think may be a cologne bottle, an old bottle, and a nice looking pale green cylindrical one with some writing on it; all of which were cok style bottles). Even though I dug about a foot and a half into the piles all but 1 of 11 were found literally lying on top, sticking out, or very shallow in the soil.

Yes I do know that the sweet arrow has been drained again, but no that wasnt me on the far side (I was at work), but I plan on going in the near future. Find anything good?

I will get some pics up of the site ASAP as well as some of my finds. Im not too sure they will be worth much, but I enjoy the hunt for one that is.
PAyoungin

Congrats on the Bottles !

The Green one sounds Cool.

Got a couple of Wheats, Lotta clad Junk. Old Button, a bell & Fishing
lures & sinkers, Etc. Etc.
Coming into the Warmth has made me Very Tired, and Being Christmas Eve, Got company Coming & going, so Havn't got time
right now to Clean, & take pics.

Keep us posted on the Creek Finds. There gotta be some cool things
in there yet.

1) Brown sayss nothing but is a cork top
2) Clear says Not To BE Refilled- Cork Top
3) Clear Says Nothing- Cork Top
4) Green Says St. Jacobs OEL; 2nd Line The Charles A Vogeler Company; 3rd Line Baltimore MD U. S. A.- Cork Top
5) Clear Says nothing- Cork Top
6)Clear Says Nothing but has a cap intact (rusted but was red)
7) Clear Cologne Says Fitch in cursive on bottom (abercrombie & fitch???)
8 ) Clear Says 3oz. on neck- Cork Top
9) Blue- Twist on Top
10) Clear- Twist on Top
11) Blue- Says Lowell Tipp City, O. around the bottom- Twist On Top I think

What do all the random numbers and letters on the bottom of bottles mean?

Heres a pic of 4 of them.....

Attachments

• Collectibles-5 (3).jpg
    Collectibles-5 (3).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 320
Heres teh other 7. Sorry they are soo big I dont know how to make them smaller....
PA Youngin

Attachments

• Collectibles-5 (4).jpg
    Collectibles-5 (4).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 316
Sounds like fun ! Why not set yourself up a siffter and see what other goodies you can find.Coming from a creek that runs through town there could be coins,marbles,artifacts and all kinds of other things besides bottles.Good luck !

:o

Mercy those sure are some very very pretty bottles!
I am sooooooo envious of you!

Congrats & kudos! ;D

Bogart :D

As suggested by kieser sousa, make yourself a sifter and sift the soil. You have plenty of time to sift the piles because it's on your Grandfather's property. Believe me, you will find all the small goodies, things that may be worth far more than the bottles found so far.

A simple 1x4" wooden frame with some 1/4" screen nailed to the bottom is a fast and easy screen for sifting. As you use it, you will learn how to improve the thing. Then start with one pile and sift the whole thing. You will be amazed at what you find. Stick with it and you're bound to find coins, jewelry, etc. There are people on TNet who would give their eye teeth to have an opportunity like you have. You literally have a chance of a lifetime with those creek scrapings.

Photo 1: Middle bottle looks like it was a juice bottle. The cobalt blue one is Vick's Vap-O-Rub. Not valuable, but a beautiful color to put on a windowsill or with a light shining on it. The corked bottles are generally more collectible than the screwcaps. Still, without some embossed wording on them, they are not worth much. To learn what the letters and symbols mean on the bottoms (these are the glass maker's code for their name and bottle size) check out the website that the BLM has at www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/index.htm It is be a good website to bookmark. You can use CLR and 0000 steel wool (wear gloves) on them to clean them up if soap and water and scrubbing doesn't work well.

Please keep posting pix of the stuff you find in grandpa's piles. ( ;D)

Thanks for the advice and I have already begun sifting through it. Nothing but broken glass and a couple small drawer handles (made of clay or porcelain). Should I run my detector over the pile? Thanks again.
PAyoungin

Hiya Pa......

Nice assortment of ABM bottles. The brown and clear bottles are crown top, not corkers. They would've had a metal cap crimped around the edges and lined with cork. Dig deeper if you can. You may find older stuff.

HH,

root

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back