New promising site will have to wait until winter ... 1916 wheat and tax token

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this sounds weird to most, especially you guys up north. I've had my eye on an old homesite for a few years now but kept putting off calling the out-of-state owner to ask permission. I finally called him Sunday and he said "no problem". I drove out later that day and found that the weeds have already popped up for the summer making it difficult to swing a coil. Also mosquitoes were eating me alive and I found a tick crawling up my leg. After going and getting some repellent, I hunted for maybe an hour where I could find an open spot but probably didn't hunt 2% of the place. However I did find a 1916 wheat and an Alabama State Tax token so I think the site will be a good one. I should have been there a month ago or earlier but I'll be back when the weather cools off and the insects and poison oak are gone.

The house is still partially standing. It was a pretty grand house in it's day. My dad says he can't remember it ever being occupied so it was abandoned at least as early as the 40's. I can't imagine anyone leaving a house like this just to rot down. I didn't get pics of the house but I'll try to later.

Attachments

• wheat_taxtoken.jpg
    wheat_taxtoken.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
hey those are great finds i also have a couple o sites with old homesteads on them but I'm apprehensive to ask permission for fear of rejection. do you have any advice on how i should ask. Ive asked on another property but was rejected any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: New promising site will have to wait until winter ... 1916 wheat and tax tok

gaspars ego said:
do you have any advice on how i should ask. Ive asked on another property but was rejected any advice would be greatly appreciated

Asking permission isn't one of my favorite things to do but it's never as bad as I think. I just try to be extremely polite and respectful and say something like "One of my hobbies is using a metal detector and I like to search around old homeplaces. I would like permission to search around one on your property." That's usually all it takes but I usually mention that I dig small holes and fill them, haul off any trash items, etc. I've gotten rejected a couple of times but I just thank them for their time.

Kent

Re: New promising site will have to wait until winter ... 1916 wheat and tax tok

alleng said:
nice wheatie and the tax token is cool. like someone said, get a weed eater over there and get to work !!! keep on digging !!!

Yep I thought of that alleng and lone. A lot of the vegetation is poison oak so I think I'll just wait ::). Like I said, I've been watching the site for years - it's not going anywhere. It's way out in the country in the middle of cotton fields.

Kent

I usually procrastinate....till it's too late.....I think LONE GUNMAN had the right idea......I'd do 50 x50 foot section at a time,and take a large shovel,(for Large snakes and other creapy critters) a small shovel for diggin,A knife,and a large GUN......For those Snakes that want to take my treasure...lol

WTG, I live in huntsville

Hey Prizm,

I live in Hartselle and work in Huntsville (actually Madison). Do you ever go to the Rocket City Relic Hunters' meetings? I've planned to go but there's always a conflict. I'll make it one of these days.

Kent

Ive heard of them and even looked at there website but never have done anything with them mostly because im 13, (lol) but there pretty good. They have found some good stuff recently. www.rocketcityrelichunters.com
Jonathan

Hey Kent, I'm in Cullman and I'm actually in Hartselle a lot because my girlfriend lives there. I'm home for the summer if you need a hunting buddy. ;)

Kent-- I know what you mean about the poison oak! I got plenty of that stuff around here too! Fortunate for me, I only get a few itchy spots from it though! ;D

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back