New Place, Story, Few Finds

G

giterdone

So today wasn't silver or gold but it's coming. I have a new yard to hunt and about 4 acres surrounding it. Some three-ring CW bullets and a Union bayonet have been found there in the past digging flower beds. The old lady gave her son three half dollars in 1949 to go to the neighbors and buy fruit and vegetables which he lost somewhere in the field on the way there, they think crossing the fence where he jumped over the wire and the grass was high. She asked if I found them could she have them back and I said sure, after I get some pics for the forum of course. I had about an hour to hunt this evening and there is alot of targets to dig but today I was looking for high VDI numbers specifically. Hope to post alot of pics from this site in the future. Giterdone

Attachments

• jan2605.jpg
    jan2605.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0
Congrats!! interesting that someone would remember losing 3 half dollars 55 yerars ago, must be some story to that. I can't remember where I lost a 20.00 bill last week :D
Dave

Yeah I'm sure but I did try to sell vacuum cleaners once. ;D? Far as the story, that was alot of money for them at the time and she said they went to pretty much effort to try and find it.? Doing some more asking revealed a portion their house was once a school of some sort and there was supposed to have been a small CW skirmish in the area.? Another bayonet was found in the attic of the old house across the street but I was denied permission to hunt their yard. Maybe they'll give in later after seeing I do no damage to their neighbor's yard.

Her son spent the $ and told her he lost it! She has her suspitions but would like you to prove her wrong by finding them. What do you think? Cladius.

Weird Cladius, I kinda had that thought too but as long as it gets me in to hunt I hope he had fun with it! Might find some of my own family treasures in this yard. I lived directly behind the large field, next to the fruit grower when I was 2. Our family moved away and came back some years later. The old house we lived in is now gone and has been replaced by a replica Southern Style Mansion built by one of the Sons of the Confederates. He used the actual foundation stones of an old building which was a Confederate hospital which was located over an adjacent hill in building his house. Haven't got that location pinned down yet. I'm finding out there is alot of history about my area I never gave a hoot about. Funny what TH'ing does to a person!

you are right about the history Giterdone--although I always found it interesting never really did much research till I started this addiction..... :D

Congratulations on what should turn out to be an excellent site, Giterdone. Take it slow and dig just about every target, if possible. You may find a lot of trash targets, but the "good" targets will come too. Looking forward to your future postings.
BRD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back